Chapter Five

Sometime when I was passed out, Jay put a toilet in my cell. It was one of those cheap plastic ones that you take with you when you go camping. It was better than nothing but I still wasn't comfortable with the idea of doing my business when anyone could just walk in and see me.

And I really had to pee.

And no one had come downstairs in two hours.

I sucked it up and quickly pulled my pants down the smallest amount I could manage and used the crappy toilet.

As I was buttoning my pants back up I hear the door open and someone starts walking downstairs. It was a woman. She didn't look any older than twenty-five. She had short fluffy brown hair that just touched the top of her shoulders and warm brown eyes that made me think of brownies. She was gorgeous.

And strangely wearing a sundress in the dead of winter.

"Oh, you must be the new girl," she said, her voice smooth like honey.

"What do you mean, 'new girl'?" I asked. I sat down on the cot on the far wall to put as much distance between us as possible.

She gave me a look that made it clear she thought I was an idiot. "You're not the first person in that cage sweety."

I didn't like the sound of that.

"Listen, I'm going to explain to you how it works around here. We keep you feed and clothed and when we need you we'll drink from you. All good?"

I was shocked by how casual she spoke. Like she didn't care that she was keeping my hostage.

"Sure," I shrugged. What was the point in arguing?

"And I can arrange for you to have some extra luxuries if you do something for me."

I didn't like the sound of that either. "What do you mean by that?"

She smiled and grabbed the bars of my cell. "Well, the rest of my family doesn't like to drink live blood unless it's a dire emergency. I mean, you saw what happens when we drink live."

"I'm paralyzed or I experience a pain unimaginable. Yes, it came up." I didn't even try to hide the anger in my tone.

"Well, they view that as inhumane, but I don't care as long as I give you something in the process. Say, let me feed on you every other day, and I can give you... shower privileges? A change of clothes? Music? Some sort of entertainment? Better food? Sound good?"

"Not a chance am I going through that hell again." I looked her dead in the eye to make it look like I wasn't afraid, but on the inside, I was happy I emptied my bladder before she came down here. She wasn't offering these things out of the kindness of her heart, but just to get me to cooperate. I had no doubt in my mind that someone who wielded power like the venom I experienced was used to getting what they wanted.

"Well, that's your loss. Because my family is happy letting you sit down here like this for years before they may need you again. I'm trying to give you another option."

"An option that includes me being fed off of like a parasite."

"To which I'm willing to compensate you for. I can make your time down here more enjoyable because I don't think anyone has told you, but you're not leaving."

I was silent. It wasn't completely out of my mind that I was going to stay here, but having it said out loud made it sound so certain. I would never go home. I would never see my mom or dad again, see Gabby or any of my other friends, never perform in another halftime show or throw another flag. I would never finish high school and go off to college. I would never do anything ever again. I would stay here and live in this cage and be fed off of occasionally until I died.

I tried not to cry when that vampire bitch was in the room, but I couldn't help it. The tears started to fall and I couldn't stop them. They streamed down my cheeks and my neck until they hit the collar of my shirt. I tried to wipe them away but they kept coming. I kept crying.

"I see you're having a difficult time adjusting," the girl said. "I can come back later."

"Wait," I said before I realized what I was doing. I walked to the bars and looked that the woman with my blurred vision. "Do you promise to make it a little less painful to be in here?"

She smiled and moved so she was standing directly in front of me. "I am a woman of my word. You let me feed on you every other day, and I will give you whatever you want... within reason."

I felt like I was making a deal with the devil, but what other choice did I have? Say no and be stuck in this cage where she would probably sneak down and feed on me anyways? This seemed like the best of two horrible scenarios.

I stuck my arm out of the cage next to her face. "Agreed."

She smiled again, this time showing me her razor-sharp teeth. She grabbed my wrist and sunk her teeth into it. And there was that feeling again. That shakey, uncontrollable feeling following by a numbing tingle. And then I was out.