Chapter Ten

After almost two weeks of being in the cell and being feed on by Kayla every other day, the cell was starting to get more comfortable for me. Kayla brought me blankets and curtains for me to hang up to keep my toilet area more private. She also brought me a pillow and bedding for my cot as well as clothes, hygiene products, and books to help the time go by. There were also several boxes of protein bars, crackers, and a case of water so I wouldn't go hungry between meals.

With all this, I could get used to staying here. I wanted nothing more than to escape, but how could I when I would be going up against vampires with super strength and who could knock me unconscious with one bite?

I was in the middle of reading during the afternoon (Kayla also gave me a clock), when I heard a strange noise near the window. I looked up and saw a skinny tabby cat sitting at the window looking down at me.

It was a little startling, but only because the cat took me by surprise. It's actually not uncommon for cats to be attracted to me. I'm not sure why but I can never go longer than a few days without a cat showing up and trying to follow me around.

I guess there's just something about me that cats like.

"I would love to give you a treat," I said to the cat. "But I'm kind of stuck in here and you're out there. So, unfortunately, that's a no." The cat blinked at me. I went back to reading my book.

An hour went by and the cat eventually disappeared. I heard to door open and was a little surprised. Kayla came down here yesterday morning so she shouldn't be back until tomorrow. Unless she was here to clean my plastic toilet again.

The person came down the stairs and I saw that it was Jay. I hadn't seen him since the night he tried to kill me. I was kind of hoping I never would see him again but now here he is. I scooted as far away from him as my cell allowed.

"Look, I know you don't want to see me, but I just," he rubbed his face, which sported stubble and his hair was disheveled. His jeans had what looked to be a cheese stain on them and his shirt was wrinkled like he had gotten it off the floor. I would comment on his shoes but he wasn't wearing any. "I need to explain."

"Kayla already explained. Apparently, you guys get extra thirsty to kill people at night. But that still doesn't excuse the fact that you did try to kill me."

"I know!" He stepped toward my cell and I pressed myself against the wall. "Look, I just..." He raked his hands through his hair making it even messier. "I never wanted this. They made me this." He pointed behind him up the stairs.

"Whether you wanted this life or not doesn't change that fact that you tried to kill me. No matter what excuse you pull out of your ass I wouldn't be standing here if someone didn't stop you. That's on you."

"But I wouldn't have been like this if they hadn't turned me. And I wanted you to know that I'm sorry, but it's not my fault."

I shook my head but didn't respond. How do you talk to someone who refuses to admit their faults?

He walked over to my cell, turned around, and sat down leaning against the bars. Neither of us spoke for several minutes nor did we move. We sat in silence, but I guess we didn't know what to say.

"I ran away from home when I was sixteen," he said. I'm assuming he's going to tell me something important and not just bore me with a story of his past that will make me feel sorry for him, but I've been wrong before. "I lived in a foster home with six other kids. And I was an angry kid so I left because I was stubborn and thought I could live life my way. After only a few weeks the money I had been saving ran out. I was hungry and couldn't get a job.

"Then this girl finds me living on the street. It was Kayla. She told me that her family would be willing to let me stay the night. I was so cold and hungry that I wasn't thinking straight and they led me back here."

I could already see where this was going and I didn't like it.

"Once they brought me back here, they stuck me in this cage. In the morning I was brought to feed their mother, Alyse. Apparently, she was sick with cancer. So, every other day they would bring me up to feed her and eventually she was cured. They kept me in the cage for incase anyone else got hurt.

"For two years I was stuck in there. Until eventually, they trusted me enough to move me upstairs. Into a room on the third floor with bars on the windows and three deadbolts on the door. But, at least it was an upgrade from down here.

"But one night a few months ago, I couldn't stand it anymore and tried to kill myself. Kayla walked in in the middle of it and saved my life, figuratively speaking of course because she turned me into this. She was the only one who treated me nicely out of the whole family and I guess she grew very fond of me and didn't want me to go."

Silence fell over us again. Now I really did feel sorry for him. He was just a stupid kid and they took advantage of him. They pushed him to the point of killing himself and even then didn't let him leave this torture.

"I guess I just wanted to let you know you're not alone," he said. He waited a minute before getting up and walking up the stairs.

"Wait," I called after him. He stopped and turned back to me. "Kayla, the reason she grew so close to you, did she feed off of you, too? While you were down here?"

He sighed. "No, and I don't know why she's doing that to you. We don't have to feed off of live blood to stay alive. We have blood bags in the kitchen."

"If you're truly sorry about trying to kill me, then make it up to me. Try and get her to stop coming down here."

He shrugged. "It's kind of hard to get Kayla to do anything, but I'll try my hardest." 

He turned and went back up the stairs. And I went back to reading my book. A few minutes later, I heard what sounded like a "meow." I looked up and saw the cat from before now down here in the basement.

"How did you get down here?" I asked the cat, as if it would actually answer. The cat slipped through the bars on my cell and jumped up on my cot and curled up into my lap. I wasn't exactly sure how to handle this situation, but when the cat started purring, it was hard to not pet it.

I went back to reading and stroked the cat, wondering how much weirder this situation could get.