Chapter Twenty-One

When I woke up in the morning, I was surprised to find myself still in my room. I was half expecting it all to be a dream and I would be back in that cell.

I ran my hand up and down my comforter feeling how soft it was. Much better than the itchy blankets that Kayla got me. I tried to spread out across my bed but my foot hit something. I sat up and saw Kevin laying in a ball at the foot of my bed. He was also giving me a dirty look for kicking him.

"Sorry," I said. He closed his eyes and went back to sleep. I had to go back to the police station this morning and I figured on my way back I should stop by a pet store to get Kevin a few things. I haven't exactly been able to feed him very well. Just a few crackers and some cold cuts. And he could also use a proper litter box.

I leaned over the edge of my bed to take a look at the makeshift one mom made last night. It appeared that he used it so that made me happy.

I was going to go back to bed when the smell of bacon and waffles wafted through the air. Grabbing Kevin as I got up, to which I got an annoyed meow thrown at me, we made our way downstairs to see my mom cooking a buffet breakfast in the kitchen.

"Good morning, sweetheart." She ran over and hugged me. Kevin flayed and jumped out of my arms so I was able to hug her back.

"Morning, mom," I said when she let go. "What's all of this for?"

"Well, for you coming home, of course."

"I figured that much, but why so much food? There's only three of us."

Someone poked the back of my shoulder. I reared up my elbow to hit them but paused when I saw who it was. "Gabby?"

"Oh, my god. Were you going to hit me?" She asked, pointing to my elbow that was still in the air.

I set in down. "Sorry, I guess I'm still a little on edge."

"Oh, no. Of course, your right. I should've thought before I snuck up behind you." She reached out for a hug.

"It's fine," I said, hugging her back. "I'm just happy to be home."

She squealed and started jumping up and down. "Me, too. I missed you so much. That's why I skipped school today so we can spead all day together."

Mom cleared her throat.

"Unless you need to rest," Gabby said. Clearly she and my mom have already had a talk.

"We can hang out a little bit today, but I do have to go back to the police station to finish my statement."

"That's okay. I can drive you." Her eyes lit up and I couldn't help but smile.

"Sounds like a plan."

"Nobody is going anywhere until you get some breakfast," mom said while pointing to the kitchen table. "Now I'm going to go wake your father up and please make sure that Kevin doesn't get into the bacon. I can already see him eyeballing it."

"Sure," I said as she walked up the stairs.

"Who's Kevin?" Gabby asked.

Speak of the devil, as soon as mom left the room, he jumped up on the counter and made a beeline for the bacon.

"This is Kevin," I said while picking him up. He loudly meowed in protest as I set him on the floor.

"When did you get a cat? You've been back for one day."

"It's a weird story I'll tell you later."

Soon mom came down with dad, who was yawning in his pajama's, and we all sat down to eat breakfast together. Everyone tried to steer the conversation toward the light and happy topics. Even though it made it a little awkward, it was so nice to be back home again.

***

A/N: Sorry that not much happened in this chapter, but I am currently sick with pneumonia and I'm finding it hard to do much of anything right now. Which is also why I haven't posted anything for the past few days. So, the next few chapters may be short, but I'm going to try and get back to posting more regularly. Thank you for all the reads!