Chapter Two

They came to get me when the sun came up. I only know this because there's a small window at the top of the wall that let the sunlight through. It didn't quite reach my cell so I still sat in the dark.

Charlie came down the stairs with the same apologetic look on his face but I was having a hard time buying it. He unlocked the cage, grabbed my arm and started forcing me up the stairs.

He didn't say anything. His silence was unsettling. Last night he wouldn't shut up with apologies but now he hadn't uttered a single word.

"So, is this where you take me to your cult leader?" I asked. I don't know why I was making jokes, but I guess it helped me from freaking out all the way.

"Sure," he said as he led me through the house. All of the hallways looked the same with the red antique carpets and ornate oil lamps lighting the way. There were pictures on the walls, some painted and some of what looked like old family photos.

He dragged me upstairs and down another hallway before arriving at a set of double doors. Inside was a fancy bedroom. The bed had that tall headboard with the curtains that faced a woodburning fireplace. The wall on the outside had floor to ceiling windows, but still in the old fashioned vibe that fit the house. The only thing that was weird was the mass of overlapping rugs covering every inch of the hardwood floors.

Charlie dragged me forward to the bed and that's when I saw someone lying in it. It was an old man, probably in his sixties, with snowy hair and thin lips. He looked like he was asleep.

Charlie kept one hand on me while he used his other one to shake the old man awake.

"Ellis? Ellis?" It took a second, but then the old man's eyes opened. They were dull and bloodshot. "I brought you something."

The old man turned his eyes on me and I could have sworn they lit up. He sat up a little bit and I saw the bedding slide off his shoulder where a big bloody bandage was. I didn't have time to analyze it before the old man reached out and grabbed my arms that were still tied together.

"What are you-" I didn't have time to finish my question before he opened his mouth and sunk his teeth into my arm. His razor-sharp teeth.

It was a pain like I had never known before. I started to lose control of my body and thrash around like I was having a seizure so Charlie held me in place. It felt like forever before the old man let go but it was probably only a few seconds.

There was a bite mark on my wrist that was oozing blood. Charlie let go of me for a second to grab something on the bedside table and I fell to the ground. The world started to go out of focus and I couldn't stop shaking.

Sound started to muffle and I couldn't hear. I felt something being pressed against my arm but couldn't see what. Then I quickly fell asleep.