11:45 pm | k.hj

mafia leader!hongjoong snakes an arm around your waist, pulling you flush against his chest. the man that had been flirting with you sends hongjoong a glare before turning and leaving.

"why didn't you come find me if you were uncomfortable with that asshole?" he's right there next to your ear and you feel his breath against your neck.

"i-i didn't want to bother you," you whisper and he lets out a small 'hmm' in reply. hongjoong turns you around and looks you in the eye.

"i don't ever want to hear those words come out of mouth again. understand me?" you quickly nod and he continues, "come to me whenever you feel anything but comfortable and safe."

you nod once more not knowing what to say, but luckily hongjoong takes your nonverbal answer as good enough for him. "i'm done here anyway, let's go," he takes your hand and guides you through the large party room and to the exit.

hongjoong has you slide in the backseat before sliding in himself next to you. the driver greeting the two of you before starting the car and driving back to ateez's base. the drive home is silent and you opt to look out the window watching the scenery of the city pass before your eyes.

turning your head, you look to hongjoong to see he was on his phone. looking down at your lap, you see his knee gently resting against your own and you can't help but feel giddy at the small contact between you two.

what happened earlier was the closet and most contact you've ever had with him since your wedding day six months ago. sometimes you can't help but wonder what it would be like to hold his hand.

wow since when did your thoughts get all schoolgirl-like?

you lift your gaze back to his face, "h-hongjoong?" he turns to look at you with a blank face, one eyebrow raised waiting for you to continue. "can we hold hands at least until we get back home?"

"sure," he says before gently intertwining your finger together. "like this?" he surprises you with that question and you nod before looking down at your connected hands and you can't help the smile that graced your lips.

"your hand is warm," you say as your thumb gently rubs the back of his hand.

"is it?" he ask and you can hear a hint of playfulness in his tone.

"yeah, it's nice. i like it," you reply back and hongjoong notes the happiness in your voice.

"then i'll make sure to hold your hand more often."

"i'd like that," you say softly and for the rest of the ride home you both sit in silence, hands still connected.

once you both finally arrive back at the ateez base, you can't help but sigh in relief finally glad to be back home. you let go of hongjoong's hand first as you unbuckle and get out of the car. the mafia leader follows close behind you as you both walk into the large mansion. you head straight for the stairs, not wanting to waste any time to get into bed and go to sleep.

"y/n," you turn to look at hongjoong who is at the bottom of the staircase, "good night." deep down you had hoped that he would say more but he doesn't.

"good night," you reply back and he nods before turning to head to his office. you then continue to walk upstairs and to your room before crashing onto your bed with a tired sigh.

"he held my hand," you say happily to yourself as a smile graces your face before you drift off to sleep.