Aliens?

We had to ditch the small car when we ran out of gas. We found a jeep in the next town over. Warren and Vasquez were in the front, Addy, Murphy, and Doc were in the middle and 10k and I were sitting on the back.

"We need to get off the road," Vasquez said. 

"I don't like being so far in Zero's territory. But I guess we really don't have a choice." Warren said. The music in the car started to cut out.

"Wait. What is that?" Murphy asked when we approached something on the side of the road. 10k held up a flashlight to it. There was a zombie sliced up in clean pieces. But it was still alive, someone didn't give it mercy.

"That is a new one," Addy said. 

"Well, I want whatever did that," 10k said. 

"Like a Samurai surgeon," Doc commented. 

"Some things you just can't unsee," Addy mentioned. The clicking of 10k's pistol loading made Addy duck down. He fired his loud gunshot and the zombie was dead.

"Four thousand two hundred and thirty-four. And a third." He said. 

"Take the whole kill. You deserve it, kid." Doc said. 

"Thirty-five." He responded.

"You know they used to find mutilated cattle out here, back Pre Z." 10k said.

"Mutilated cattle? Like X-Files mutilated cattle?" Warren asked. 

"Yeah, my uncle knew all about it. Aliens did it." He said. 

"Have you been smoking my Z weed?" Doc asked. 

"No." He said. 

"Well, maybe you better start," Doc said. I laughed and leaned my arms above my head on the railing. 

"You believe in UFOs?" Murphy asked.

"Sure." He said.  

"That's ridiculous. Aliens don't exist. If they were smart enough to get here, they wouldn't put up with the dumb-ass human race for a minute. It's pure science fiction." Murphy said. 

"That's what people said about zombies." 10k pointed out. I giggled and bumped into him. He smiled at me, wrapping his arm around my waist. 

"Well, I mean maybe there's zombies. But there sure as hell ain't no aliens." Murphy said. The music started to cut out again before completely going out. The car stopped and the lights went out.

"Warren," I asked.

"Come on, baby. Don't fail me now." Warren said trying to get the car back on. The radio cut back on but it was staticky and garbled.

"What the hell kind of language is that?" Vasquez asked. 

"Sounds like alien cross talk to me," 10k said. 

"Now you're just saying that to piss me off, aren't you?" Murphy said turning to us. 10k smiled and I pushed my head against his shoulder. 

"Am I the only one a little creeped out?" Doc asked.

"Anybody have eyes on where that light's coming from?" Warren asked. We all turned around to see the bight light. It went over our head quickly and shined another light on the ground. Another zombie was cut just like the previous one.

"Like I was saying," 10k said.

"Aliens," I said laughing. The music cut back on and so did the engine.

"Well, that was exciting.",Doc said. 

"I don't want my apocalypse any more exciting than it already is thank you.",Murphy said and slid down in his seat a little.

"Somebody wanna go ahead and tell me what that was?" Addy asked. 

"A plane?" Doc suggested. 

"Been seeing those contrails for a while.",Vasquez said. 

"Is that possible? Somebody flying something." Addy asked. 

"All right, listen. My dad was this no bullshit, tell it like it is, Air Force pilot. He told this story about seeing this brightly lit craft buzzing over him in northern Nevada. And it made him a total believer. And even as a little girl, I like I wondered." Warren said. 

"Well wonder no more. Zombies got here first. There are no aliens." Murphy said. 

"Well I, dunno. A UFO seems more likely than somebody still able to fly a jet today. Especially one that can do that." Doc said pointing up. 

"I'm telling ya-" 10k said. 

"Don't make me bite you.",Murphy said making Addy look at him. "Kidding." He said. I flicked the back of his head and 10k and I laid down in the back.

"Uh-huh, " Warren said. 

---

 We pulled off the side of the road and 10k woke me up. It was morning now and Warren was looking through his scope.

"If it was a plane, we should definitely find it and fly it the hell out of this apocalypse. It's a lot faster than driving." Addy said. 

"No thanks. Last time I got in a plane, it didn't end so well." Murphy said. 

"Does anything in your life?" Addy sarcastically asked. 

"Yeah, well it didn't look like any plane I've seen. And we are in Rozwell." Warren said. 

"With a Z." Doc chimed in. 

"Murphy's right. Whatever it is, it isn't extraterrestrial." Vasquez said. 

"What, some kind of drone?" I asked making my presence known next to Warren.  

"Maybe.",Vasquez said. 

"What kinda drone moves like that?" Doc asked. 

"I'm telling ya, my uncle-" 10k got cut off again. I just shook my head. Warren threw an arm over my shoulder and we walked forward. We walked to the crash site.

"Probably crashed back when everything went bad. Looks like there's some markings here. Kinda weird." Warren said. 

"It's not a plane. There's no wings." 10k said. 

"Helicopter or something," I said. 

"Yeah, but where are the rotors?" Warren asked. 

"Guys, what is it?" Addy asked from inside the circle imprint. 

"If anyone says flying saucer, I'm out of here," Murphy said. 

"Well, it sure looks like a... An airborne disc of some kind." Doc said correcting himself. 

"Well whatever it is, it's not the thing we saw last night. So let's keep going." Warren said taking charge. 

"Into Roswell?" Murphy asked. 

"We need supplies," Warren said with sass. 

"Great, more alien huggers." Murphy sarcastically cheered. Growling was heard in the distance.

"Never mind aliens. Puppies and kittens, people." Warren said pulling out her Glock.

"Couple more over here. 10K, you're up." Warren said after she and Vasquez shot the two zombies. He took his slingshot out and killed the farther one. He patted himself for another gear but couldn't find it. He reached behind his back and pulled out the blade he made. He stabbed it through the zombie's head and looked back to us with a tight jaw. Damn. 

"Four thousand two hundred thirty-six. Thirty-seven." He said. We got back into the jeep and continued driving.  10k and I stood up in the back of the jeep's trunk as Warren drove us into Alien town.