Thanks For The Memories

"So, We got the lowdown on the sleeping situation. There's a room that two or three of us can share, and there's a communal bunk." Warren explained.

"Dibs on the room," Murphy said out loud, making us all give him a look. "What? Be less risk of anyone figuring out who I am." he continued to defend himself.

"I think we should give it to those two," Doc said motioning to my two, parent figures. They both looked like a deer in headlights.

"What, no, no, no. We're not a" Charlie dragged off looking at me. I giggled and Addy laughed sarcastically.

"Yeah, you guys take it," Mack said, making Addy agree.

"Is it that obvious?" Charlie asked.

"I don't call you mom and dad for nothing," I said, nudging his arm.

"Well, If we're gonna do the time, we may as well do the crime," Warren said, making me choke on my water. Doc laughed at my reaction and Addy tapped my back. Warren got us and Charlie had a very confused face.

"Don't go giving me another sibling now," I said back to them, giggling and making the others laugh before we all returned to our food. I excused myself before leaving to go on a walk and enjoy some time outside peacefully. I walked the perimeter. I saw 10k so I jogged up to him. He jumped back and bumped into me he quickly turned around and grabbed my arm.

"Run" He yelled at me, dragging my body with him until my legs caught up to my body's movements.

"Why," I asked, my voice raised with anxiety.

"Zombies," He said back, still running. The zombies were after us until we passed by two people and they quickly diverted their attention to the closer, easier meal.

"Wait, catch," I said, tossing him one of my blades. He looked at me confused before shaking it off and glad he had a weapon. There was banging on the door we ran past so we both went back. There was a giant cross wedged in the door. He lifted it up and undid the door. Our whole group flooded out of there thanking us for saving them. Then zombies also came. Doc and Mack slammed the door shut and 10k blocked it with the cross again.

We decided to split up to grab weapons then look for Murphy.

"Greetings brothers and sisters. The Resurrection Church welcomes you. Please raise your hands to the heavens or I will resurrect you where you stand." a group of people stopped us. Cassandra grabbed 10k, and he laced his fingers in mine and pulled me away from the group. A gun fired at us but luckily we weren't hit. We went through the buildings to get to the armory to be less seen. We snuck down a hallway but there was someone there so I pushed myself against the wall of the hallway we just came from hoping he didn't notice us. 10k dragged me away and he knocked the guy out.

"Dad" I whispered as I heard his voice. 10k ducked down and propped his gun against the window.

"Shoot him," Cassandra said impatiently. I knew better than to talk while a sniper was aiming.

"I can't get a shot" 10k confirmed. "I need to get on the roof, you get the truck. Karma come with me," he said, leaving Cassandra behind. We got onto the roof and laid down both of us aiming our snipers on the scene below us. Jacob pulled a gun on murphy. Warren screamed knocking Jacob out of the way. The gun went off and everything went in slow motion. Before I knew it Garnett was on the ground.

"No!" I screamed leaving everything with 10k and sprinting to my father. Warren knelt over his body and I slid next to her. "Dad! Dad! No, please" I said letting the tears fall, not caring who saw me cry. His hand reached up to cup my face, he gave me a pained smile.

"Amy would be so proud. Take care of the others, and honey, tell the boy you like him. It's too lonely in this world as it is already. " he said, making me shake my head. He turned to Warren. "I love you"

"I love you too," She said after pausing.

"Then go," He said. "Live" His eyes slowly lost their color.

"No, no, no" I kept repeating over and over, Warren doing the same thing in her own way. Mack grabbed her arm and tried to pull her off him, Doc grabbed her other side and helped pull her off him completely. They left me with him for someone else to grab. I never heard Cassandra yell for 10k or Addy yell for me. The tears streamed off my face and onto Charlie's shirt. "Please dad, I'll be good. Please don't leave me. I can't lose another dad. I love you"

"I love you too baby, my sweet angel. Stay safe Nikkole." And with that, his eyes glazed over. I was pulled off him and dragged to the truck. We drove off leaving my undead father without mercy. Warren got out of the truck and went to the back. She grabbed 10k's weapon and he just helped her get it over the tailgate. She lined it up and looked through the sight. I let out a whimper and my hand covered my mouth. Addy left a reassuring hand on my leg as I just looked at Warren through tear-soaked eyes. She looked at me sadly. I nodded my head and turned into 10k. He wrapped his hand on my head and just let me cry.

"Charles Garnett, I give you mercy," she spoke out and then fired the gun. I let out a saddened noise of despair. She fired again getting her revenge. Once she was back into the truck we left and continued our journey.

Climbing into my dad's lap while we were going to the movies and falling asleep on his lap. His hand in my hair brushing the strands that were around my face. "Wake up nick. We're here" my sleeping form sitting up and wiping my eyes with my hands.

Laughter rang throughout the hallways as my father walked through them. I was wrapped around his leg and he was moving around lifting my body up into the air with the rest of his leg. Putting me on the ground to move his other leg, then the one I was attached to once more. My giggles rang through the house.

"Happy birthday Nikkole," Charlie said to me while giving me my 14th birthday cake. He smiled while taking a photo on his camera as I blew out the candles.

The rain was pouring outside and there I was running around in the street getting wet. My father came out to drag me back inside. I tugged on his hand, my little one wrapped around his finger. I splashed in the puddle next to us, making him laugh. We splashed in puddles and jumped around until mom called us back inside.

Sighing my dad came home late one night and sat in front of the tv. I thought he always got bored watching it, so I'd go into my room and break a toy so he could fix it. He always smiled at my face when he handed me back the repaired toy.

"Good morning, people. Welcome to the third day of the sixth month of the year 03 A.Z. If you're listening to this, it means you're still alive. So congratulations. Or condolences. You know, whatever. If you're noticing more despair in my voice than usual today, it's because we lost someone special. I know, we lose people all the time. Getting your face chewed off by a Z is more common than making it to your next birthday. But this guy... This one's worth mentioning. Charles Garnett, First Sergeant, Army National Guard Reservist, was an honest to God, real-life, actual good guy. He fought for other people, not just for his own survival. And he did something that's pretty much impossible these days. He gave people hope. Remember hope? Remember thinking that we might actually come out on the other side of this thing? Yeah. That. Sergeant Garnett died trying to give us a reason to hope. And for that... Sergeant Charles Garnett. On behalf of a grateful nation, or whatever the hell we are now, we salute you." Citizen Z honored my late father. Tears slipped out of my eyes as I just laid there against the window staring off into the passing fields.