Radiation Rising

"There's nothing to kill out here," 10k complained.

"That's fine by me," Warren said slightly out of breath.

"We need to find a place to make camp soon. My dogs is getting tired." Doc complained as well. The whole group is tired of walking.

"Well, there's supposed to be a little town nearby called Edgemont. I'll take a compass reading at this next ridge up here." Warren said. Doc asked for a break and surprisingly Warren let us. We came to an opening and saw Mount Rushmore. Except the presidents' faces were now painted with blood out of their mouths and some on Lincoln's head. There was also a 'no z' symbol. Warren decided that we should keep going given it was going to be dark out soon. Walking through the trees and hearing Murphy's complaints, made me grow a slight headache. We came upon a white fenced-in building. We walked through and it seemed pretty deserted.

"Why do they still lock doors? Luckily I have a skeleton key." Doc said, pulling out a crowbar and wedging it in the door. He got it open and we all went inside. "Well being Doctor Darkside, we are not gonna find much food or ammo in here." He said as we continued our journey. I looked around taking in my surroundings.

"Yeah. If we wanted industrial pipes, this would be the place to be." Warren said weaving her way around things.

"Oh, look," Murphy said, picking up a carton of water.

"Hey, hey, hold on. You can't just drink that. What do you think this is the local Piggly Wiggly? That could be some kind of you know industrial type water that'll rot your insides." Doc warned him but he unscrewed the cap anyways.

"Spare me the details," he said drinking out of it, sighing at the content the water gave him. We heard a zombie coming from around the corner. Warren took cover and we all got behind her. Murphy let out a fart and the air started to smell so bad. I coughed with my mouth closed not to attract anything.

"Sorry. It got away from me." Murphy whispered. Warren gave him a disgusted face and covered her nose with her jacket.

"If I die because you farted, I am taking you with me," Doc said. I smiled at the joke while Warren shushed us. I choked again but this time not as quietly. I pushed my face into 10k's back so I could smell him instead. He stiffened at the tough but relaxed when he looked back and saw it was only me.

"What in the livin' hell? It's glowin'." Doc exclaimed. Taking his crowbar out of the z's head.

"It's like a zombie ghost," Cassandra mentioned.

"Why is he glowing?" 10k asked.

"He's got friends," Warren said as she shot another one. Her gun clicked and she was out of ammo. Suddenly the doors opened up and two people walked in. They were wearing yellow hazmat suits. A zombie came up to 10k and he pushed it against the wall with his sniper.

"Back away from the Zs! It's not safe!" A woman yelled. A zombie growled from beside Warren and the man yelled at her not to touch them. He told us they were radioactive. They took us up to the reactor to show us why they were radioactive. Then they took us through the town. Warren explained our situation to them when they asked questions. They took us to a garage and the daughter gave us iodine pills. Doc was sad they weren't something else. I adjusted the tight leather top I had on and sat next to 10k. It was more practical than you would think. It gave my back support and moved with my body so I didn't have too many cramps. Murphy wanted to leave at the first sign of trouble and I don't blame him. According to the father, we only had about 48 hours until the place blew up.

While we were walking up to the reactor Mr. Grady was explaining to us why he hasn't taken care of this issue before and how he needs our help.

"Okay, here's the plan. I need to get to the control room to see if I can figure out why the fuel rods aren't dropping down to the cooling pool to stop the reaction. I haven't been able to get in there because of this gauntlet of zombies. That's where I need your help." he spoke loud enough for us all to hear.