Memories Are Haunting

"Warren, I don't like this place," I whispered to her, snapping the button back into place on my thigh over the handle of my pistol.

"I don't either hun. We need to get Cassandra and Addy and get the hell out" She said, her voice low, smiling to those who passed us. We walked into the bedroom Cassandra was hold up in.

"Feeling any better?" Warren asked, standing at the foot of the bed.

"Starting to," Cassandra said. Their medic left the room and she tipped her head silently asking us to come to her. "Remember what Sam told us about where he was going?" She asked, keeping our conversation low.

"Salt Lake City to see his dad. Why?" I asked her, also keeping my voice quiet.

"Amy has a son a little older than Sam. He's not here. You know why?" Cassandra asked.

"Went to Salt Lake City to see his dad?" Warren put the pieces together. Cassandra nodded her head making Warren sigh.

"The girls stay here, but all the boys leave when they turn 13. That's what she said." Cassandra explained.

"They seem so happy," Warren spoke looking out the window.

"Yeah, maybe a little too happy," Cassandra commented.

"Nice people always scare me. Let's get you well, and let's get out of here." Warren said before leaving Cassandra on the bed. We continued to walk around assessing our ways out. All of a sudden, a car horn honks. Addy was tucked behind a tree as we met up with her.

"What's going on?" Warren asked Addy.

"I'm not sure." She responded honestly.

"This is Tessa." One of the armed women said to Helen.

"Tessa, welcome. You're home now. You're safe." Helen said, pulling the girl into a hug. She calmed the crying, beat up woman. Her right eye was bruised and bloody. Her lip was split open and dried blood covered her chin. "It's okay. No one can hurt you here. This is why we exist. We provide a place that is safe from the violent destructive world of men. And we bring the perpetrators to justice. That is our purpose. That is our purpose." Helen said to the growing crowd. Everyone repeated back to her 'this is our purpose'. Definitely cult vibes. I looked at Warren wearily and she did the same. What the hell is going on here?

They brought out a long-haired blonde biker dude. "Bite me, Bitch." He said spitting on the ground.

"Hmmm, Bitch. I like that. It suits you. Well, it's time that you learn about justice, Bitch." Helen said through gritted teeth. "Take him away," she ordered. The women dragged him to the cabin in the corner. The crowd followed them, like a church service. Helen came up to us and looking straight at Addy she said "You should see this."

"What's gonna happen to him?" Addy asked.

"Justice." She responded with a sick smile plastered on her face. Addy followed her immediately but Warren and I were more hesitant. The woman they brought in was cleaned up more and was standing next to Helen as the rest of the crowd sat down behind them. I don't have a good feeling about this.

"You harm a woman, you die. That's our rule." Helen said. Someone handed Tessa an electric pole thing and she turned it on. The electricity clicked throughout the air. Helen urged her on and as the guards were taking the man into a dark barn she poked him twice, his grunts followed as they shoved him in there. Growling came from inside. Not like a zombie's growls. No. this was much more deep and powerful. I looked deeper into the barn and saw the beast.

"Bear," I said out loud, grabbing Warren's arm. "Bear. A damn zombie bear. Why a bear?" I spoke again, my eyes not leaving the thing. They shut the doors and locked it leaving the man inside. Only then did my eyes look at Helen. She had this haunting face. No remorse at all.