She's In A Better Place

Springfield Illinois.

Zombies were everywhere. Like usual. 10K stood upon a car and used his slingshot to take out z's. Warren was with Vasquez to my right fighting back to back. Addy and Doc were on their own. Murphy was cradling his baby. I was in front of the vehicle 10k was on top of. I was using my blades as much as I could to avoid wasting ammo. Murphy threw Lucy, his baby, to Doc over the zombies. Doc ran into a bus but then needed our help. Once we got him out, Doc threw Lucy to Addy who threw her to Warren. These people out here playing hot potato with a damn baby. 

With my blades in my hands, I began stabbing the zombies in the head and moving on to the next Abe Lincoln looking zombie. We all took safety from the z's in the woods.

"Hey. Is anybody else worried about the baby?" Doc asked. 

"I don't know whether to be worried for that baby or afraid of that baby. You see the way she attracts Zs?" Warren said.

"That baby, and I use the word loosely, is gonna get us all killed," Vasquez said. 

"Bro, she's a baby. Relax." Addy said. 

"Yeah. A baby sprung from Murphy's loins." Doc said. 

"She's not just a baby. She's something else. She could grow up to be the savior of the human race or the queen of destruction. And we need to find out which and do what we got to do." Warren said. Her and Addy left going off to probably find Murphy. I stayed back with Doc and Vasquez. Not long after Warren left Vasquez did too.

"And then there were two," I said. Doc chuckled.

"So, you and 10k" He started.

"Me and 10k" I repeated.

"What's up with that? You guys act like you like each other and then yall don't talk for two weeks." He said.

"I don't know Doc." I sighed. "He's my best friend. Nothing changes that." I said.

"But clearly your feelings have changed." He said. I looked up from my boots that I found very interesting at the moment.

"Doc, we flirt, all the time and smile and laugh, but how am I supposed to know if it's real? I can't control my feelings anymore. It's hard being around him and not saying all the things I want him to hear. I'm trying my best to act casual, but all I can seem to do is get lost with him." I said honestly finally spilling my guts to someone.

"You know kid, the more you hide your feelings, the more you fall in love. You two were meant to be. It's the zombie apocalypse, don't wait too long to tell him you love him though." Doc said. He patted my leg and walked off. I was left alone with my thoughts. Standing up and brushing the dirt off my butt, I set off to find the others. 

"Caught some trout," 10k said as he came back to the group. 

"Kid, you are a fishing guru," Doc said. "What's your secret?" He asked. 

"Be one with the fish," 10k responded. I laughed and he sat down beside me. I passed him my water and he took a sip.

"Far out," Doc said. 

"Atta boy" Warren congratulated him. She was at my feet sharpening her blades. She passed the brick to me and I did the same. 10k crouched to my left. My back was leaned up against a tree.

"Well, I got some foil in here somewhere. We're gonna fry one of them bad boys up." Doc said. His voice was distant as I wasn't really paying him much attention.

"Hey, we need to get a look at that baby." Warren lowered her voice. 

"Yeah, well good luck. Super Dad over there won't let anybody touch her. I'm guessing he's afraid we're gonna leave her behind. Which isn't something that we're actually considering doing, right?" Addy asked.