Taken

"What happened? Where is everybody?" 10k asked. 

"This way, kids. Let's go." Murphy said. 

"We gotta find Doc and Addy and Warren," 10k said getting out of the boat. He put the duffel bag he was carrying down and turned to me with his hand out. 

"I already said thanks. We're going our own way now." Murphy said. 

"We kept you alive all the way to California," 10k said. Murphy turned and began to walk away from us. "Where are you going?" He yelled after him. 

"To start a new world," Murphy stated. He whistled when he got to the jeep and Dr. Merch was sitting in the passenger's seat. 

"I'm not going anywhere with you, Murphy," 10k said getting into the back of the Jeep.

"10k," I asked. He looked at me not bothering to hide his frightened features. I took a deep breath and climbed in beside him. His hand went straight to mine and he held it tightly. Murphy drove the jeep down the bumpy road following two ATVs with two military men from the submarine each. I noticed one to be the captain but Murphy was wearing his hat. There were two loud popping noises and we stopped in the middle of the dirt path.

"Try to avoid the sharp stuff," Murphy said getting out of the jeep. 10k got out and shot the incoming zombie. There was silence surrounding us for just a moment before we could hear a muffled screaming like a war cry.

"There," 10k said pointing into the valley with his gun. Two people with weapons ran towards us.

"Zombies carrying weapons?" Dr. Merch asked. Murphy put his hands up like he does when he's going to control the zombies.

"Those aren't Zs. Back in the vehicle." He ordered. Murphy and the Dr. got back into the jeep. 10k and I stood outside watching the scene play out. The attackers charged the men on the ATVs. One threw a hook and it landed in the captains head. They climbed onto the bodies of the soldiers and beat them.

"Kill them," Murphy ordered. Before I could react 10k shot the attackers and their bodies fell to the ground.

"You two will have to do better," Murphy said to the two who survived.

"The Apocalypse has gotten worse." Dr. Merch said.

"Starvation and killing is all that's left. Last stop for humanity. Everybody off." Murphy said melodramatically. Dr. Merch began to have a panic attack and I just sat back into the jeep thinking of ways that I can help save my best friend. We started driving again. We came to a stop in the middle of the woods. 10k grabbed my hand and we ran off into the woods. 10k was frantic and afraid. I've never seen him act like this before.

"What's happening? I don't understand." He said when we ran back to Murphy and the jeep.

"Get in. We need to keep moving. The further we get away from the humans, the better." Murphy said. A tree started to sway quickly and caught our attention.

"What is that?" Dr merch asked at the sound of the trees cracking.

"10K," Murphy ordered.

"What is it?" 10k asked. A ball of zombies rolled into our view. At least thirty were attached to each other.

"Zombies eating zombies," Murphy explained.

"But why?" Dr merch asked.

"They're starving. Not enough humans left to eat." Murphy said.

"I can't watch." Dr merch said.

"Don't turn away. Face the future." Murphy said. I shook my head and got back into the jeep. Where 10k goes I go.

"Without me, this is how the world ends. No humans. Just starving Zs." Murphy said.

"What about Zona?" Dr merch asked.

"Without my blood, the flatulent rich of Zona will meet a less dignified end than these poor bastards," Murphy said.

"They won't give up so easily." She said.

"Nor will I." He defended.

"What will you do with me?" She asked.

"Merch, my good doctor. You will help bring Murphy to the masses. You'll be part of history. The Age of Blends is inevitable. My gift to this cesspool of a world." He said. "Cheer up, 10K. Put our brothers out of my misery." He said making 10k walk up to the two zombies eating each other in front of the jeep. He fired twice and stood there. He's just a shell of who he was.

"I give you mercy." He said. A silence then followed until he spoke again. "What?" He asked looking at a smiling Murphy.

"You've stopped counting," Murphy said. I sighed and leaned my head against my hands. Murphy saw a supply drop so we headed that way. I didn't feel up to it so I didn't follow them in. Murphy drove out an armored vehicle and pulled up to the jeep. 10k got out and went to wherever Murphy told him to.

"Get in," Murphy said.

"Why should I," I asked

"Because I control your little boyfriend. You'd never leave him. Now get into the car." He barked. I did what I was told and sat in the back of the truck. Murphy tied my wrists together and put my bandana in my mouth to stop me from talking. I just glared at him. Warren and the others were outside on the other side talking to Murphy. They've acquired a doctor from Beijing and want to take Murphy to make a cure. Murphy offered them to join us if he could turn them into his blends. 

I leaned my head against the wall and let the silent tears fall down my face. He told them that 10k and I were dead and I didn't bother trying to be heard. The thought of me being dead was the only thing in my head right now. My wrists rubbed against the zip ties and I turned away from the front seat. Warren and the group left when enders were showing up. Murphy drove the truck somewhere close by before stopping again. 10k opened the back door and looked down at me. He clenched his jaw and climbed in.

"Murphy is this necessary," he asked. Murphy just growled and handed him a knife. 10k cut my wrists loose and wiped my cheeks. He pulled the bandana out of my mouth and pulled my body close to his chest. He still acts like himself sometimes. Maybe Murphy doesn't have full control over him.