Maybe There's Hope

"Thomas, your ride's here," Murphy called out making everyone look at our presence. "Hello, Roberta." He said addressing her. 

"What the hell happened to you?" She asked walking around 10k. Murphy tilted his head and I walked over to 10k and picked him up off the ground. 

"It's the new-new me. Like it? Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh. No sudden moves." Murphy called.  

"Barry. Be a real damn shame... if he wasn't such a screwup." The scruffy man warren picked up said. He nodded to his man behind him but before he could pull his trigger one of Murphy's guys shot first. 

"Some people just do not listen." Murphy tsked. 

"Are you dying?" Warren asked. 

"I am becoming." Murphy said. I leaned 10k next to the wall. He was passed out.  

"Becoming what?" Warren asked. She kept giving me side glances. "Moses? Billy Idol?" She joked. 

"My destiny," Murphy answered. 

"Your destiny?" She asked. "Lording over a bunch of half-zombie cult members?" She asked. 10k came to and was looking around at the scene in front of him. 

"You say it like it's a bad thing. What are you gonna do with that, huh? Make me immune to the zombie virus, huh? That's what Doctor Merch thought too, and look where it got her. Bag of zombie chow. And where do you get off judging me? At least 10K had the decency to count the number of zombies he killed. Do you have any idea how many humans you've murdered? I didn't think so. And look at the company you are keeping. Wow. Hmmm. You have your friends like old Red Hand here to thank for the atrocities all up and down the coast." Murphy ranted. 

"Hey, we're just doing our part to bring order to the chaos." The red hand member said. 

"Really? Well if you ever get tired of being a nihilistic, murdering, pungent human, come take the cure." Murphy said. 

"Know what, I think I'll stick to my murdering nihilistic ways. But man, I do appreciate the invite." He said. 

"And where is Hector? Oh, I'm sorry. Too soon? Should've guessed. Death, just follows you everywhere, doesn't it? But I can give you life." Murphy said. I looked over at Warren.

"What is he talking about?" I asked, my voice wavering.

"Karma, honey, Hector didn't make it. Vasquez killed him in a fight." I breathed out and looked at the ground. "Vasquez is gone too" I choked on a sob and my eyes landed on 10k. I never got to say I'm sorry. 

"Guess you've always had daddy issues," Murphy said. I turned around and lifted my hand to throw a punch. He just looked at me and my hand froze. I struggled against his control. 

"I am not taking your damn blend vaccine. Eveh." Warren said.

"You know, my friends here, they could kill you right now." Murphy paused. "All I have to do is think it. But that's not why I came here. Your old life, as you know it, it's over. Right..." He paused and snapped his fingers. "Now. Your new life has just begun. You can be reborn at this very moment. You just have to want it." Murphy said.

"You are insane." Waren said.

"Am I, Roberta?" He asked laughing. "The CDC. The lab in Colorado. The Zeros. Operation Bite Mark. And let's not forget the lovable head in a box, Doctor Kurian. They were wrong. All of them. But look around you. Look what I have built. What we have built. It's over for the human race. It's over. And you know it. And they know it. And I know you. I know how you think, Roberta. Don't do this. I want you on my side. I need you on my side." He said.