Reunion

"It gets lonely out here in the Apocalypse. People are getting fewer and fewer and meaner and meaner. You know, kid? Kid?" Doc asked shaking a sleeping 10k. I took the cart from him and pushed 10k along the road. "How you feeling? That's okay. You sleep it off. That cocktail I gave you would have whooped my ass too, for sure." Doc said ignoring the silence 10k gave him.

"He'll be ok Doc," I reassured.

"I dunno how much more of this zombie shit I'm gonna be able to put up with. With Warren and Addy gone, if anything else happened to you kids, I might just have to go out in a blaze of zombie glory." He said. 

"Car's coming," I said and we pushed the cart in front of an abandoned car and ducked down. 

"Hey. Warren! Warren!" Doc yelled making the car stop in the road. "Hey, you guys!" He yelled as the others got out of the car. 

"Steven Beck. Where the hell have you been? We've been looking all over for you!" Warren said excitedly. 

"What happened to me? What happened to you?" Doc asked. 

"Ah, you didn't see the horde of spider zombies?" Addy asked. 

"Spider zombies?" I spoke up making my presence known along with a passed out 10k. 

"Damn. No." Doc said. 

"They were covered in black widows, man," Escorpion said. 

"Black widow spiders crawling with them." Addy shuttered at the thought. 

"Okay, so what happened to you?" Warren asked.

 "Well, have you ever seen the movie, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest? Add zombies, a black Elvis, and mix well. It's a long story. But the best part is I found 10K." Doc exclaimed. 

"What?" Addy asked. 

"10K!" Doc yelled as the cart rolled down the street.  

"Shit," Warren whispered. I walked to the very much intact 10k sitting in front of the abandoned car and got him inside the truck they stole.

"Nikkole" Escorpion said.

"Don't." I spat.

We were taking a break from driving and 10k started to have nightmares. I rubbed his hair and Doc tried to wake him up. He launched himself out of the car and he laid on the ground.

"You're not looking too good, kid," Doc said crouching next to him. 

"Yeah, I don't feel so good," 10k said. 

"What the hell did you give him?" Warren asked. Escorpion bent down to help 10k and my hand went to my gun. 

"Whoa. What..." 10k trailed off as he pushed his body away from him and leaned up against my legs for support.  

"Hey, hey, hey. 10K, it's okay. He's with us now." Warren said more so to both of us. 

"She's right. You don't have to worry about me no more. I'm with you now, bro." Escorpion said. 

"You okay? Look at you. You got chest hairs." Warren said making 10k blush as she pulled him up. "Good to see you, conscious." She added.

"Why are you both not wearing a shirt" Addy pointed out. 

"The things you do to escape the crazy in the apocalypse," I said. 

"I feel that" She agreed. Addy came up to us and hugged 10k first before embracing me.

"All right, we got a lot of catching up to do. But first, you told Doc that Murphy's in Spokane?" Warren said getting straight to business.

"Yeah. He's different. He's smarter. Crazier. He's got some kinda big plan, and he's not alone. He bites people, controls them. It's weird." 10k explained. 

"How?" Warren asked when 10k stopped talking.

"Well, everybody likes him," I said. 

"That's effed up," Addy said. 

"Drink this, kid. You look dehydrated." Doc said handing 10 a water bottle. 

"Is Doctor Merch still alive?" Some random lady asked. 

"It's okay," Warren said urging us to keep going. 

"Murphy bit her. Twice." I said while 10k was taking a drink. 

"Son of a bitch," Addy muttered. 

"So with these bites, he controls her?" The lady asked.  

"Yeah. Doctor Merch is making him a blend vaccine so he can control people without biting them." 10k explained. 

"You sure we need this guy alive?" Escorpion asked. 

"You can't kill him," 10k spoke up a little too quickly for my liking. 

"Let's go," Warren ordered. 

"Running out of gas," Doc mentioned. 

"Back on foot." She said grabbing the stuff from the back. 

"Are we friends with Escorpion now?" 10k asked as we walked next to Addy and Doc the others in front of us by twenty feet. 

"Dude went full Apocalypse, man. Had one of them come to Jesus moments. Goes by Hector now." Doc explained. 

"What about Vasquez?" I asked. 

"Uh, man, haven't seen him since California. Probably ran himself into a horde of Zs. Suicide by zombie." Addy said. 

"Who's she?" 10k asked. 

"Oh, when you and Murphy were on the boat, some Asian folks paid us a visit" Doc explained. We kept walking through the street and came upon a dock. There were zombies tied up outside in various ways. One was chained to a gas meter and had the nozzle in its throat. 

"Red Hands, all right. These guys are starting to take all the fun out of the Apocalypse." Doc said.

"Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse," Warren added. 

"I didn't think it was possible to terrorize people in this environment." The new girl said. 

"Hey, guys! Look at this." 10k called out. We all turned our attention to where he was pointing. A sign that said 'Car thieves pay with their lives' was written in red spray paint along with a cardboard sign that had 'Escorpion' written as well.

"Did you do this too?" I asked harshly to Hector. He goes by that now.

"No Mija," He said shaking his head. We all separated and took a look around. Warren and the doctor, Sun Mei, were walking together and 10k and I were looking around as well. He pulled the squeegee and it had two zombified hands grabbing onto it. Warren and Sun Mei were looking at 10k's serum to be released out of Murphy's grasp.

"Hey, 10K! Give me a hand over here, will ya?" Doc called and 10k gave me a kiss on the cheek before walking off to help Doc. 

"So, you two are like, official" Addy asked.

"Yeah," I said not really in the mood for a conversation.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, just worried about him," I answered.

"Come on, he's 10k. He'll be fine" She said walking away to keep an eye on my father.

"That's not what I'm worried about" I muttered to myself.