3: Meng Family

"Are you an enemy or an ally?"

That's the question of Nyssa that brought uneasiness inside the room.

Early in the morning, she was visited by Alexandra Meng. She looked like exactly as how Nyssa remembered her. Except for the fact that she was younger and less intimidating right now. Probably because she had less responsibility at this point of time compared when Nyssa had a face off with her.

Anyway, she couldn't make up how the sibling relationship of Alexandra and Anastasia was.

When the older lady entered the room, agad siya nitong sinabihan ng, "Ungrateful girl. You've been awake since yesterday and didn't even think of notifying us all."

Since Nyssa wanted to test her, she remained quiet. The lady also did the same. She just stared back at her without any expression on her face.

That's when Nyssa decided to ask the question.

The maidservants with Alexandra gasped at her question. But the latter just remained quiet and kept staring at her. Nyssa did the same. She had a feeling that it wasn't just her who was testing people here. Alexandra was also doing the same thing to her.

Until...

Alexandra suddenly laughed out loud.

"Seems like your maid is right. You really lost your memory, huh.

"But stupid girl... Do you think people will answer you truthfully if you ask that question towards them?"

"Whether they are truthful or not, that's for me to discern."

"Which you are suck. Judging other people's character is your fatal flaw ever since. That's the reason why you always end up getting deceived."

Nyssa fell silent. So, the second lady of Meng had that character.

"I like it though..."

Once again, Nyssa looked at Alexandra who met her gaze instantly.

"I like how you woke up cautiously. Seems like that 'accident' of yours has somehow resulted a gain for you."

Hindi nakaligtas kay Nyssa kung paanong binanggit ni Alexandra ang aksidente niya. Obviously, she was trying to tell her something.

"What do you mean?"

Alexandra smirked at her before standing up.

"I'd like to watch how a blank slate like you can figure out things for yourself." She said before making her way out of Nyssa's room.

The latter just unbelievably looked at the retreating back of Alexandra.

"Evil..." She muttered. Then suddenly, Alexandra stopped at the door.

"Oh, I really am, dear sister.

"By the way, make sure to pay father and Astra a visit within the day. Just keep your filial piety since that's the only thing you are good at anyway."

After that, tuluyan ng umalis si Alexandra.

Tch...

Nyssa started to doubt this lady she interchanged with. Mukhang palagi siyang mapapahamak dahil dito ah. And here she even planned to remain inconspicuous in order to live for a while in this body habang inaalam niya kung anong nangyari sa kanya at kung paano siya makakabalik sa katawan niya. But that seemed to be impossible to be as easy as she planned.

"Miss, the First lady is just like that but she is quite nice. Please don't feel bad towards her." Hazel tried to appease her as she thought na baka iniisip talaga ng Miss niya na hindi niya mapagkakatiwalaan ang nakakatandang kapatid niya.

However, that was not really the case for Nyssa.

Though the siblings seemed like have a cold relationship with each other, Nyssa couldn't be fool by that. Alexandra was obviously trying to protect her younger sister behind everyone else. Her evil sister facade was her means to at least remove half of the watchful eyes against Anastasia.

The second lady of Meng needed that. Specially since she seemed to be a gullible lady.

But since Nyssa was not really the Anastasia, then this game would change drastically.

"I'd like to visit the Ancestral Tree."

***

But instead of visiting the Ancestral Tree, Nyssa was dragged to go to the Common House. That's the where everyone meet each other within the residence. Andoon din ang Common Dining Area kung saan sabay sabay na kumakain ang buong pamilya ng Meng.

But right now, she was received just by Czar and his second wife, Astra.

"Lord Czar and Madam Astra, please pardon my sudden presence here."

Both was obviously surprised with how they were addressed by the young lady. They were not yet aware about her memory loss so it felt cold than her usual greeting.

"What Lord Czar? Are you trying to remove yourself as my daughter?" Kunot noong tanong ni Czar sa kanya.

Agad namang lumuhod sa pagitan nila si Hazel.

"My Lord, please spare my Miss. Her fall from the Ancestral Tree caused a memory loss. She couldn't remember everything at all."

Madam Astra's gasp was heard inside the room. Habang hindi naman makapaniwalang napatingin ng mataman si Czar sa anak niya.

As much as the people tried to fault this young lady because of her misfortunes, she was still his daughter. And Czar was the kind of father who would never treat his own flesh and blood badly just because of some kind of prophecy.

"Is it true?"

"Yes, Lor---"

Czar immediately stopped her.

"Papa... You always call me that so there's no need to change it."

Nyssa suddenly felt uncomfortable.

His words and the way he said it were very nice to her ears.

She had to remind herself na para sa ibang tao iyon at hindi para sa kanya. That her father, no matter what she does, will never be that nice towards her.

But then again, was Czar really this nice towards his own daughters? Nyssa knew how fathers treasured sons and if they have daughters then their usefulness. And Anastasia neither falls under both category. So how could a head of family be this affectionate? He must be pretending.

"Yes, Papa."

"Come here."

Nyssa sighed and started making her way towards Czar. Her knowledge about this man was just limited to his capabilities as the head of Meng family. So she was somehow being more careful around him.

Upon reaching him, Czar stood up and walked towards her. He made her looked up to him by putting his point finger on her chin. Then he held her hand.

"Although it was unimaginable for me for you to fall from the Ancestral Tree which you had been climbing ever since you were still a child, I could still tell how the fall affected you. Forgetting everything... it is just normal to be confused and be cautious. But I am your father, Anastasia, you have to be assured that I won't harm you."

"Yes, father."

Czar smiled and nodded.

"I have to ban you from climbing that tree though. Who knows what will happen to you next if you fall from that again?"

"I understand."

Czar tapped her head.

"Go back to your room and continue resting. I know you might have still pains over your body. I will have the family physician to check you later."

"This child is grateful, Papa. I will be going back then."

Nyssa immediately left.

It was really uncomfortable. In fact, she felt cringy when Czar touched her. It was really weird.

Was he always like that?

***