Chapter 39

I woke up, my head pounding and the world around me swimming. Every fiber of my being felt like it was on fire, and as much as I wanted to move I couldn't. Every time I tried, it sent my body into severe agony. I was doing all I could not to cry out, to not let them know I was awake. I raised my head just enough to see tubes connected to me and straps holding me down to some type of cold metal table.

There was one in each arm and each leg, allowing a deep dark purple fluid enter my body, and then were three more, all connected to my chest, pulling an electric blue something from my body. That had to be what gave me my speed. The "Speed Force" within. I started to panic.

'Okay, think Daniels, think! How did this happen to you? I replayed the fight in my head, over and over, trying to figure out how he was stronger and faster than me. 'That big brute that I fought said something about being one of the few that didn't go insane from the experiment, but why? Why him? What made him so special? What makes him like me and my dad?

I heard voices coming down a hall to my left. I laid my head down and acted like I was still passed out.

"...and the trials aren't complete." said a woman's voice. "We have to stop testing immediately. Some one is gonna catch onto what we're doing and we'll be..."

"ENOUGH." yelled a man. "I'm sick and tired of your bitching and moaning. This is why we have to finish trials NOW." Whoever this man was, he was furious. "Now, where are we on the young speedster?"

"W-w-w-we have enough to inject in to the girl." said the woman's voice.

"Good." said the man. "Lets get to it."

"I need a few things. Heavy things. Would you mind helping me out?"

"Do I have to do EVERYTHING around here?" Boasted the man. "Fine, lets go." They walked down the hall, their footstep following behind them. Once I was sure they were gone, my eyes flew open, and panic flooded my body. I had to get out of here, I had to stop these people. I had to do something.

'Wait,' I thought to myself 'she said something about a girl' I lifted my head, as far as I could go, straining against whatever was making my body feel limp, and I saw her, laying on a table much like my own, was Sarah.

"S-sarah." I croaked, not really being able to talk. "Sarah, I need you to get up. I need you to wake up. We have to get out of here." I tried using my new ability, but I could only get my body to the point of melting ice. I couldn't get no hotter. I stopped trying, caught my breath, and then strained against the straps holding me down to the point of passing out. I stopped, heaving hard, feeling like I was gonna puke. I heard footsteps hurrying down the hall, but I didn't bother to close my eyes. I wanted to see who was gonna be the one to drain my powers out of me, but what I saw, who I saw, must've been a hallucination. It had to have been.

"Hold on sweetheart." said the woman. "I'm gonna get you and Sarah out of here." she said, undoing my straps and pulling my tubes out left and right. She finally got done with me and moved on to Sarah, who was still unconscious.

"Can you move?" she asked from Sarah's table. "Get up. You have to get going. There's no telling how much time I bought you guys."

I sat up, still not sure I saw what I saw. She turned and looked at me, and a knew it. For sure.

"M-mom?"