191. Quack

no real shirbert in this one sorry but next chapter is some wedding preparations like choosing her dress

---

"Do you know when you might want to have the wedding?"

Four years ago, was Anne's thought, but to Marilla she said, "Probably Christmas. I know it's an unusual time for a wedding but it's too late to have it this summer and in the fall nobody will be here to come to it. I asked Gilbert if he wanted to wait until spring, because I thought if we delayed it some more then maybe I could..." Anne bit her lip, looking down at her son.

"You could..." Marilla took a breath. "Oh, Anne...."

"...he said we shouldn't wait for that, that it doesn't matter and we can go ahead and get married anyway. I don't really want to wait that long either. It was just a thought."

"Well, I'm glad he feels that way," Marilla said briskly. "Rachel said married life might not be an option for you and I admit I'd been worrying, but if he's willing to...to wait, then we can all rest easy about it."

Anne made a face. "Married life might not be for me? She's the one who wanted you and the Andrews to drag us to the courthouse and make us marry each other!"

"She never wanted the two of you to be together. She only wanted the license on record for the sake of the baby," Marilla said calmly, "because it would be unfortunate for him that his birth certificate says his parents weren't married."

"Well, it was a rotten idea, anyway," Anne grumbled.

"I quite agree," Marilla said, though she hadn't approved of Anne's choice of language.

"I mean, I understand what she meant," Anne said slowly.

Marilla nodded. "Yes. I do feel for Walter- his birth certificate will be a problem for him in life, but there was no way we could have allowed-"

"It makes me sound awfully selfish, though, doesn't it," Anne interrupted flatly. "He wouldn't be considered a bastard child if I'd have gone to the courthouse and made myself a sacrificial lamb."

Marilla could not be exasperated at Anne's dramatics on this point, or her choice of words, and so all she did was reach out, patting Anne on the shoulder. "I didn't mean it that way, dear," she said gently. "Well, we can't do anything about his birth certificate, but at least he won't grow up fatherless, will he?"

Anne finally smiled. "No, he won't grow up fatherless. At least there's that."

This conversation had gone over Walter's head; he didn't understand and was busy looking at the birds chirping in the trees. They went out to the clothesline, and Anne set down their basket.

"It'll be exciting to get to live together," Marilla said, her voice bright as she began to take the washing down from the line. Anne was helping her, and even Walter was, by taking the wooden clothespins as Marilla handed them down to him one by one. "If you think about it, this is the first time in your life you've been able to choose for yourself who you live with! No more being told where to go, moving in with strangers and hoping they're decent to you."

"That's true," Anne realized. "That's very interesting."

"...You'll have many happy years ahead, I'm sure."

Anne smiled, knowing she would, and knowing that finally- finally- things were looking up for her.

"I know Gilbert's house is already furnished," Marilla said, "But there are several things I thought you ought to take with you. Some of our rugs and quilts and things in the spare room, and the like." Her face pink, she said falteringly, "Just to give you a little reminder of...home."