55. Something Borrowed

When they arrived at the train station, they had to wait nearly a half hour before their train. Marilla had wanted to leave early enough that they would not need to rush. Anne did not mind because this gave her lots of time with Matthew before she had to leave.

"It isn't really goodbye," Anne told him. "Because you're going to come visit, every time there can be a pause in the work."

"Work don't seem to matter now," Matthew said, feeling guilt for not being with her all the time.

"It does, though," Anne told him. "A farm can't survive if it's neglected, after all. And I have to have a home to come home to, don't I?"

Matthew didn't say anything. He just held her close to him like a baby, because she was his baby, and he was ever aware of the danger she was soon to face, and the terrible, not-to-be-spoken possibility that she might not come home to him.

As they were beginning to board the train, they heard a shout. "Anne! Anne!"

Anne turned and was startled to see Gilbert rushing toward them.

"Gilbert!" she cried, tears springing to her eyes at the joy of seeing him one more time. But then- "Oh, no, nothing's happened?"

Gilbert shook his head. "No, no. Nothing like that. I just came to give you something."

He laid it in her palm. "Take this with you," he told her breathlessly.

Anne stared down at it.

It was a thin gold band.

"It was my mother's wedding ring," he said. "Keep it with you. If you start to feel worried, you can put it on, and then everyone will think you're married. And then you won't have to feel that way anymore."

Anne was still staring down at the ring in her hand. Not taking her eyes from it, she whispered fearfully, "What if I lose it?"

"You won't lose it if you're wearing it." He smiled.

She still didn't move.

"Look," he said, having a sudden idea. "Let me have that chain- the one I gave you for your birthday."

Anne unclasped it.

Gilbert took it and slipped the ring on it, then clasped the chain back around her neck again.

"There," Gilbert said. "Now you won't lose it."

Anne still could not speak; it was an uncommon occurrence for her to lose all ability to form words, but this accomplished that.

Gilbert reminded her: "Didn't I promise you I'd get you something to put on that chain?"

"Yes, you did," Anne breathed, finally finding words. "But...but I can't keep your mother's ring."

"You're not, not really- you're just borrowing it," he told her.

And with a smile meant only for himself, he finished:

"After all, I'll need it back."