168. Springtime

Matthew played games with Walter almost constantly, continuing to be amazed by how the little boy had such dexterity and such accuracy in his physical movement at such a young age. Besides that, he had a strong arm for throwing a ball.

Anne- for reasons Matthew was well aware of- could not see Walter's gifts. It was a shame, he thought, that she couldn't see anything beyond what he was lacking.

But Matthew knew there was more to a person than their ability to sit in a classroom full of other people and give answers out loud.

"We oughta have a party," he said at dinner, very abruptly.

Marilla and Anne stared at him- forks paused mid air.

"A party?" Marilla echoed, as if she thought she'd heard wrong, or perhaps Matthew somehow didn't understand what the word meant.

"For Walter, have his little friends over...for a party," he went on.

They were still staring.

Anne was almost in shock, but answered, "His birthday isn't til August.".

"Could be fun," he finished lamely. Then he went back to eating his dinner.

Marilla and Anne looked at each other.

--

"Why is it that you, of all people, suggested a party?" Marilla asked later, when they were alone. "What on earth has possessed you?"

"Thought it would be nice for Anne...for Walter. To play with his friends," Matthew said with a shrug.

Marilla thought her brother had ulterior motives. She had known him too long to believe he was suddenly filled with the desire for company. "He sees his friends at church, in the nursery. And he sees them while Anne spends time with Emily's circle." Marilla eyed her brother. She set down her dish towel and turned to him. "What's this all about?"

"Well, now," Matthew began. "Children like party games...nine pins, ring toss, clothespins in the bucket...things like that."

Marilla was still looking at him with suspicion.

Matthew gave up, telling the truth: "Be a good thing for Anne to notice Walter's the best at something."

Marilla understood. "Ahh, I see."

Matthew went on humbly, "Seems to me, mothers like thinking their child stands out from other children."

"I believe that," Marilla said. "You can't be in a group of mothers without hearing someone laud their children to the high heavens!" She sat down at the table with Matthew. "But Anne hasn't done that with Walter. ...There was that time Dr. Carter listened to Walter's lungs with a stethoscope and Anne proclaimed his lungs to be better than other babies- why, I don't know! I remember telling her he'd better have good lungs if he was going to talk a mile a minute like she does." She smiled, amused at how Anne had babbled on at the time, then she shook her head. "Beyond that one instance long ago, she never seems to think he's worth praising!"

"I sorta thought when he won that contest at the fair, that it would make her proud of him," Matthew admitted.

"The trouble with that contest," Marilla pointed out, "It was all about looks- and Anne is well aware of where his looks come from."

Matthew just nodded.

"She's making me a bit unhinged with her constant comparison," Marilla said exhaling. "The poor baby can't help whose face and hair he's got...and he can't help it if he has the mental aptitude of Billy either! ...Yes, let's have other little ones over for a party. Anne must see that Walter is good at something."