14. Sunday School

On Sunday Gilbert saw Anne in church. She hadn't been in Sunday School, but how could she? Billy was there.

Marilla nearly made her get ready earlier so she wouldn't be late, until she realized the situation and said, "...We'll just go to church, I think."

Matthew didn't mind not going early; it cut down on the time he'd have to make small talk with neighbors and townsfolk. But he felt bad, thinking that Anne ought to be able to attend.

"Wish we'd thought of Sunday school when we threatened the Andrews," Matthew said under his breath to Marilla as they walked out of the house.

"They took our threat seriously enough to pull him from school, but I doubt they'd have let us push them as far as to stay home from church," Marilla said just as quietly.

"Well, he's the one who needs Sunday School, not our Anne," Matthew said defensively. "Still, I don't like it."

"I don't either," Marilla said, unhappy. "I've tried to bring religion into her life, and I think she's taking to it just fine, but a child ought to be in Sunday School to be brought up properly."

"What I don't like most about it is that she can't see her friends there," Matthew said softly as Anne came out onto the porch. "Morning, Anne."

Anne smiled at Matthew's greeting and climbed into the buggy. Matthew had been driving the buggy slower ever since Marilla told him of Anne's probable condition. He was worried about jostling her too much over the bumpy road.

Anne wondered why Matthew had begun to drive slower, but didn't think to ask why, because every time they drove somewhere, she was too busy chattering on and on about other things.

Once at church, Sunday School was just ending and the children were coming into the congregation. Matthew and Marilla guided Anne into their regular pew and sat down just as the choir began the introit.

Marilla had a sudden thought that if Anne could not go to Sunday School, perhaps she'd like to join the choir. They met at the same time, and Anne would like to sing- and best of all, no one from the Andrews family was in the choir. But her hopes were dashed when she realized that there was nothing Anne would want less right now than to stand in front of the church every week with all of Avonlea's eyes on her.

She glanced at Matthew, but he was looking down at Anne.

Marilla found her eyes wandering over to where the Andrews' family sat. Mr. and Mrs. Andrews sat regal and proud looking, and their three prim and proper children sat in a row, dressed exquisitely. When the tithe plate was passed, Mr. Andrews laid several crisp bills in it, sniffed, and seemed to be watching to see if others laid in anything that would overshadow his own contribution. Marilla was reminded of Mark 8:36...For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

The service passed uneventfully, and when it was over, Matthew and Marilla rushed Anne out immediately.

As they made their way to the buggy, Diana tried to get Anne's attention but was pressed ahead by her mother. Frowning, she gave Anne a small wave.

Matthew saw this, and squeezed Anne close. "You have school days with her, at least," he reminded her in a quiet murmur. Anne nodded, and tried to smile for Matthew's sake.

Gilbert, however, was free to run to Anne all he wanted. He came to church alone these days, and had his father been able to come with him, they'd both have wanted to talk to Anne.

Gilbert smiled. "Anne, I'm so glad to see you! Hello, Mr. and Miss Cuthbert."

Matthew gave him a nod in greeting, but Marilla said, "Hello, Gilbert. How is your father doing?"

"He's well enough right now, it seems," Gilbert told her. "He's been having some really good days."

They chatted for a few minutes, but Anne wasn't listening. She was staring at a small enamel pin on Gilbert's lapel.

After a few minutes, Gilbert noticed. "What is it?" He looked down to his shirt, where her eyes were.

"Oh," he said. "Uh...that's just..."

Then suddenly Gilbert clammed up. He pulled the pin off and shoved it into his pocket. "Hey," he said enthusiastically. "I wondered if Anne might be allowed to come over and see my dad today. ...He really misses you, Anne."

Marilla nodded, "That would be fine. Would you like to, Anne?"

But Anne was looking around now, at the others filing out of the church. Several of the young people were wearing pins like Gilbert's. She couldn't help but notice the Andrews as they started down the path. Jane and Prissy both had pins stuck to the front of their dresses, and try as she might not to look at Billy, the pin on his shirt lapel caught the sunlight and sparkled. Anne's eyes welled up. She shook her head. "No," she said. "No, I want to go home."

She turned away from them and went to the buggy by herself.

Marilla looked at Gilbert. Her expression was a mix of confusion and regret. "Gilbert, I'm sorry, I don't know what-"

Gilbert sighed. "She kept staring at my pin."

"Your pin?" Marilla asked. She had seen Gilbert pull something from his shirt lapel, but she hadn't gotten a good enough look at it to know what it was.

So Gilbert took it out of his pocket and showed them. "From Sunday School. ...Today was the end of the term...and...well..." He trailed off, helplessly looking at Anne off in the buggy by herself.

Matthew and Marilla glanced at each other.

Marilla put a hand on his shoulder, feeling sorry that he had to know he'd caused her upset, even unintentionally. She said softly, "I suppose we'll go on home. Please tell your father we're thinking of him. I'm sure Anne will want to visit again soon."