12. To Tell

Now that Anne knew she could not imagine the baby away- though once in a while, she would try- she began to try to have a stronger will. This is going to happen, she thought, So as miserable as it is, I'll try to be brave.

Anne still did not want to read the books Marilla bought, though. She knew Marilla was reading them, but Anne always managed to find something else to do whenever Marilla suggested she read some for herself.

In the morning as Anne was getting ready to leave the house, Marilla said, "I'm sure you'll want Diana and Gilbert to know-"

"I don't want anyone to know!" Anne argued, pulling her winter cap down over her head.

"Well, you don't have to tell them yet. But if you choose to, don't tell them at school where it could be overheard. Ask them to come over here instead."

Anne reminded her, "Diana isn't allowed to come over."

"Yes, I know- maybe Gilbert can tell her for you, then. Regardless, don't say it in school. We don't need everyone knowing- there's no reason for it, not at this point."

Then Marilla had another thought: "I wouldn't tell Ruby at all. I know she's on your side, and that's good...but if she gets in Josie Pye's ear..." Marilla shook that thought away. "It won't do for things to become overly complicated."

"Josie already told everyone I was expecting," Anne said glumly.

"But those are Josie's rumors. Let's not validate them."

Then Anne had a sad thought: "Ruby won't be my friend anymore...I'm going to lose a friend."

Marilla was surprised. "Ruby's been one of your biggest defenders, hasn't she?"

"It isn't her," Anne said mournfully. "It's her mother. Mrs. Gillis doesn't like me having a baby- and I can't blame her, I don't like it myself- but she was willing to look past this if I did 'the right thing', as she put it."

"The right thing? Does she think you ought to give the baby up?"

Anne shook her head. "The baby's illegitimate. Mrs. Gillis says that can't be helped now, but that I better get married quickly before it's born, because it ought to have married parents. ...And she won't let Ruby be friends with an unwed mother."

Marilla raised her eyebrows. "I can't imagine Mrs. Gillis would want this baby's parents to be married...she knows the circumstances, doesn't she?"

Anne nodded miserably. "She does. But she says it isn't responsible to let a baby be born out of wedlock."

Marilla did not like this. "Marriage between you and that boy would be difficult, considering if he ever comes within ten yards of you, Matthew'll go after his rifle."

Anne couldn't help smiling, and Marilla finished comfortingly, "Mrs. Gillis must see how impossible such a marriage would be- it wouldn't be fair to you, Anne."

"According to Mrs. Gillis, I don't matter," Anne said pitifully. "I'm supposed to do what's right for the baby, even though it isn't fair to me!"

"But that can't be what's right for the baby," Marilla argued. "Two married parents, I agree- but not when the father is violent toward the mother! That's not right, Anne, and Matthew and I would never allow such a thing!"

Anne went on, "But we don't need him, because Ruby told her mother that Gilbert and I were getting married. And Mrs. Gillis said she didn't care who I married, but that someone better marry me before that baby gets here!"