108. After Church

On Sunday morning Anne delayed going to church as long as possible.

She kept changing Walter's clothes, trying to figure out which was his least attractive outfit, and finally decided that it didn't matter what he wore because she simply would not remove him from his basket. But then she realized that if he cried, she'd have to get him out and hold him in order to stop the crying, and if she didn't pick him up and hold him, he'd only attract more attention. She finally settled on a drab yellow colored dress, the plainest thing he owned. She could not take him out in bright colors and ruffly things, because he'd only be more noticeable. When she came to the buggy with him, Marilla glanced in at him and asked sharply, "Why is he wearing two bonnets at the same time?"

"Uh," Anne mumbled, "He, uh...he wanted both of them."

Marilla waited.

"It's to help hide his face," Anne finally explained. "So no one can look at him."

"Well, he looks ridiculous. Take one of them off, and let's go," Marilla directed.

Anne finally untied one of the bonnets.

She heaved a sigh as she hoisted him into the buggy.

"Let's go face our doom, Walter."

"Oh, Anne, hold your tongue! Avoiding doom is why you go to church!"

--

When they pulled up in front of the church, Anne glanced anxiously around to see if anyone was looking at them.

"What if the Andrews are here?" she asked.

Marilla brushed that off. "What of it? They can go to church-"

"They ought to go to church," Matthew interrupted under his breath.

Marilla gave him a sharp look. "Them being here has no bearing on anything. You don't need to feel awkward. If anything, they should feel awkward!"

"But I have- I have him," Anne moaned miserably, lifting Walter's basket out of the buggy. "It's embarrassing."

"You should be proud of your baby, Anne. He's yours and no one else's. You can't go through all of life being embarrassed of him!"

"I know..." Anne whined.

Marilla said, more sympathetically- "You don't have to bring him in. You can leave him in the nursery. A lot of mothers do that- so he won't disturb the service."

Anne thought about this, but then-

"What if they don't treat him nicely?" she burst out passionately.

Marilla was surprised. "Whyever wouldn't they?"

Anne said, "Because of who I am!"

Marilla softened. "Oh, Anne. The lady who takes care of the babies in the nursery during the services is very kind. You met her at the church picnic, remember? She was nice to you, wasn't she?"

Anne just sat there, looking down. "I suppose..."

Marilla prompted, "She's the lady who brought you the cradle roll certificate and the bouquet of flowers. Now, she wouldn't have done that if she didn't feel kindly toward you! She would never treat your baby unfairly."

Anne nodded.

"Come now, let's go in," Marilla directed. "...Would you like me to carry his basket? You don't have to, really- if that will help you?"