43. Gilbert is Turned Away

One night Anne turned round every which way in her mirror, as she'd taken to doing more and more frequently.

Previously, the extra flounce to her pinafore had helped, because it hid the bump she was getting- any gain on her part could just be attributed to the ruffles on the her pinafore.

But tonight, standing in front of her mirror, she came to the upsetting conclusion that at this point, the ruffled pinafore was actually beginning to make it worse. It was just accentuating her midsection, which was beginning to expand too far to be explained away by ruffles.

The next day when Marilla told Anne that Gilbert was here for her, she was met with surprise.

Instead of lighting up as usual, a distressed look came over Anne's face and she begged Marilla, "Tell him to go away!"

Marilla looked shocked.

"You don't mean that, do you?" Marilla was shocked; they'd been so close.

Nevertheless, she said to Gilbert at the door, "I'm afraid Anne can't have visitors today, would you mind coming tomorrow perhaps?"

After he went away disappointed, Marilla shut the door and went to where Anne was hiding in the kitchen. "Anne, what is it?"

Anne would not answer.

"Has he said something hurtful to you?"

"No, no, I just want him to go away and leave me alone, Marilla! Please!"

"But I've told him to come back tomorrow, dear."

Anne gave an exasperated moan and ran to her room, slamming the door behind her.

---

The next day Anne thought to herself, Now I'm being silly- besides Diana, Gilbert's my very best friend in the whole world. There's no reason not to see him.

But when it came time to face him the next day, Anne felt panicked at the prospect and pleaded with Marilla not to let him in.

It was a bewildered Marilla who met Gilbert at the door, saying, "I'm sorry, Gilbert- I don't know why, but she's refusing to see you. ...Did the two of you quarrel over something?"

"No," he answered, just as bewildered. "I can't think of anything at all."

Then he thought, "Miss Cuthbert, would it be all right if I wrote her a letter?"

"Yes of course. I'd ask you in, but..."

"I'll just sit out here and write it, it isn't any trouble," and he sat right down on the porch step and took out his notebook to begin a letter.

---

Marilla checked on him a moment later. He stood up quickly and gave it to her. "Thank you for allowing it," he said humbly. "And please feel free, of course, to read it before you give it to her, if you think you ought to?"

"I'm sure it's all right, Gilbert. I trust you and Anne completely."

Gilberts eyes softened. "Thank you, Miss Cuthbert."

And he turned to go.

---

Dear Anne,

Since you won't see me, I thought I'd write you a letter. I hope that's all right with you. And I hope you'll answer me back. Are you angry with me over something? I've been racking my brain trying to think of where I've let you down.