41. Tillie and Jane Come to Visit

Anne missed the girls.

Gilbert was with her nearly every day, and she saw Emily twice a week, and the Sunday School teacher came- and now she had Jerry- but it wasn't the same as having the girls at school.

She was overjoyed one day when Tillie and Jane came over unexpectedly.

Tillie's parents were understanding of Anne, so she did not have to worry about her visit, but Jane was coming over in secret because her parents would not have approved.

"It isn't a lie, really," Jane said. "I said I was spending the day with Tillie...and I am."

Anne smiled, then laughed. She was so happy to see them. So happy that it took several minutes before she remembered to be embarrassed about her belly. Tillie and Jane could tell the very moment it hit her- she suddenly blushed, looking down, and crossed her arms, as if that could somehow hide it.

"Come in," she said quickly.

The girls came into the parlor and were met with Anne's sewing. Pieces of fabric cut out and laying over patterns, straight pins, a tape measure, a pin cushion, and bits of lace were strewn across the coffee table.

"Oh, Anne," Tillie said. "Are you making a new dress? All by yourself? I couldn't do that. Not ever. My mother would have to do it for me."

Anne shook her head. "No. Well, I guess I am. ...But not for me." She blushed again. "Anyway, come sit down, I'll just clear away all these things, and-"

"Wait, can't we look at them?" Tillie asked.

Anne bit her lip. "I guess you can. If you really want to."

Jane and Tillie sat right down and began looking at Anne's work.

Finally Anne sat down, joining them.

"I really like pink dresses," she told them. "But I don't know if it'll have red hair, so I can't."

Jane smiled. "You can make whatever color you like. It won't mind wearing pink. It won't even know it has red hair, Anne, and it certainly won't know that people say a redhead shouldn't wear pink."

"But I'll know," Anne said decidedly. "I can't dress the poor creature in pink if it's got red hair! Girls, this baby is going to be an unpleasant thing for me to have to look at already, so I shouldn't make it look any worse!"

Jane thought Anne was being silly. But trying to sound more helpful, she asked, "Well, you have lots of pretty colors here."

"Marilla got me the fabric. I expected her to come home with brown and gray, like she got for my clothes! But she didn't. She got me this bright, sky-blue kind of blue. And this purply blue is called 'periwinkle'. Isn't that just a delicious word? I just love the way it sounds- periwinkle. And this mint green color- it's very restful, don't you think? But my favorite is this really lovely violet."

"That's nice of her," Jane said pleasantly. "She must want you to have some fun with it."

"Yes," Anne said. "I felt anguished when she said we needed to start working on preparations, but I suppose it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I don't really like sewing all that much. I find it hard to sit and be still for so long, and there isn't much scope for the imagination when all it is is needle in, needle out, over and over. Stitching takes such a terribly long time. But I do like being able to add things to the clothes- ruffles and lacy things. That part is nice."

Tillie picked up a periwinkle bonnet with lace around it. "She even got you lace? Oh, Anne, it's so pretty."

Anne frowned. "I bet she regrets it. I didn't know how to do that part and she's had to. ...She's done a lot of the sewing herself, really. She's faster than me, and she can use the machine. She only lets me use the machine if she's right there hovering over me!"