66. Labor

Marilla's letters to Matthew were frequent. He'd planned to come twice, but hadn't come either time because of Gilbert's father.

Anne had told Matthew that if Gilbert needed him, she did not want Matthew to come to her.

I can't be with him now, Matthew, Anne had written. I'd feel better if you could take my place and be with Gilbert yourself.

Matthew had stated he was coming anyway- he had to come see her, but Anne had responded:

I'd never forgive myself if you were here visiting me while something happened to leave Gilbert all alone...

But nothing had happened to leave Gilbert all alone.

Dr. Carter could not understand it. He had never seen someone so close to death's door but straining so hard to cling to life.

He's hanging on for something, he'd confided in Matthew. I don't know how.

--

Once a letter came that Anne was having contractions, Rachel was on the very next train. Marilla was surprised to find Rachel, unannounced, at their boarding house door with luggage in hand.

"I came as soon as you wrote. The men can fend for themselves. I thought you needed my expertise."

Marilla wasn't sure whether to be touched or amused.

As she let Rachel in, she said, "I'm not sure where to put you, Rachel."

"I'll do just fine on the sofa," Rachel said matter-of-factly. "My, Marilla, you spared no expense in getting this room, did you?"

Marilla was uncomfortable. She whispered, "We- we had...help."

Rachel understood immediately.

"Where is Anne?" she wanted to know. "Has she been admitted yet?"

"No, the contractions were irregular yesterday and the day before. It's only today they've been regular, but they're still far apart enough that they said we don't need to bring her in yet. I don't know, though. I'd have felt better if she was admitted from the very first one, but Dr. Wescott said Anne would be more comfortable resting here than lying in a hospital bed until it's closer to the time. She's in there now, in bed."

"How is she?"

"Frightened," Marilla said honestly. "She's being a good little soldier, though. I do wish she could be up doing things, because being active would help to keep her mind off it, but he wants her to stay in bed, so of course she must. He says she needs all the rest she can get beforehand."

"That's the truth," Rachel said. "They don't call it labor for nothing."

Rachel put her things down next to the sofa and began poking around, nosy as ever, even in an emergency. Marilla couldn't help smiling.

--

Marilla had to keep track of how far apart the contractions were. Once it was time to go, Marilla felt herself panicking, but worked to keep a calm exterior, knowing she had to be steady so that Anne would not become even more frightened.

"Marilla, can't we wait and go later?" Anne begged. She knew she was being unreasonable, but in her mind, if they weren't going to the hospital yet, then she wasn't having the baby yet.

"The doctor told us how many minutes apart they should be when we bring you in. And we're supposed to take you in between contractions so you're not in transit when one comes."