129. A Valentine for Mama

Back to the current time.

The flash forward was to show you how Walter is bad at school subjects. Lol.

Anyway, after the next couple chapters, we will probably have a time jump of a whole year.

--

Before long, February was upon them, and Gilbert began to think of Valentine's Day. He and Anne had not celebrated Valentine's Day the first year they'd known each other, but they'd only known each other a short time then, and they'd been friends, but nothing more. Now, it was clear that while they were too young to court, they were in some sort of quiet relationship, so he felt free to think of what he could do to show her how much he loved her.

Beyond that, he wanted to assist Walter in giving his mama a present.

He thought of her birthstone- she always wore his gift now, hanging from the chain he'd given her on her birthday. Now that she was happily attached to Walter, he decided he would give Walter's birthstone to her for Valentine's Day. She could wear that on her chain, too. When Walter's birthstone came in the mail, Gilbert was happy with his purchase- and relieved that Walter had been born during a month whose stone wasn't outside his ability to buy.

While he was at the post office picking up the gift, he had an idea.

"Say," he said to the postal worker. "Do you have any more of those stamp pads I could buy?"

The clerk looked at him strangely. "We don't sell these- they're for official postal duty."

Gilbert nodded. "What about borrowing one, then? If I can't buy it?"

"Borrow it? Whad'ya mean borrow it? I'm not to let it leave the premises. This is official government property right here!"

Gilbert sighed. "What about if I used it right here- could I come in and use it right in front of you?"

"Suit yer' self," he shrugged. "Long as you don't interfere in official business."

"I won't," Gilbert promised. "It's just for...sort of a craft. Thank you."

---

"Could I borrow your baby?" Gilbert asked, knowing his question was funny and allowing it to be so. He smiled, his eyes twinkling conspiratorially.

"Borrow him? What do you mean?" Anne asked in surprise.

"Just for a little while. He's going to help me with a project," Gilbert said mysteriously.

Anne didn't know what to say. "But where will he go?" she finally asked.

"It's a surprise," Gilbert said. "I can't tell you. But I assure you he'll be perfectly safe."

"Oh, I know," Anne told him. "I trust you. I just can't imagine why you'd want him for anything."

"Can I?"

"He eats every three hours."

"We won't be gone that long," Gilbert promised. "It'll be quick, I promise."

"I...I suppose so. Can't I come?" Anne was holding Walter close.

"If you came, you'd spoil the surprise," Gilbert explained. He glanced around. "Do you still have that basket you used to carry him in? I'd try to drive while holding him on my lap, but it's so cold I'd rather have him in something."

Anne nodded, retrieving the basket from the pantry. She handed Gilbert the baby and went toward the stairs, calling back to him. "I need to get him some warmer clothes."