Chapter 26

(A/N: To clear up some confusing things here, Sleepy Ash and the others — AKA the other Servamps and Eves— will refer to Mahiru as 'Shiro' but I will generally be using 'Mahiru' for most of the texts. Thank you for understanding!)

~{&}~

The atmosphere was almost suffocating.

No one dared to say anything, and even if they did, they felt that there was no use to and they couldn't even find what to talk about. And some part in them refused to even let their mind speak out even if it was a random murmur.

The other remnants of the room that previously weren't mentioned — Shuhei, Yumikage and Junichiro — all swallowed large lumps in their throat as they watched the stare down between Sleepy Ash and Mahiru, whom was sitting in front of them on the couch while they were standing behind protectively like bodyguards.

It was obvious that the two couldn't stand the silence and the tension, especially when everyone knew (including them) that they were the one who caused it. But nobody could find a word to say— a topic to talk on or maybe just simply blasting a lot of profanities at each other, which they were pretty fond of.

Mahiru on the other hand was wondering what kind of wrong he did in his past life to be thrown in such a situation like this— murdering the president? Overthrowing an empire? Or maybe he stole the hopes and dreams of little children— wait, never-mind, the education system already does that.

Staring at his demise before him that took the form of a blue haired vampire, he hoped that at least nothing would happen to him this week. The universe had given him many downs in his life and he prayed that it would at least give him one up-card this week by letting nothing happen.

His up-card was damn overdue and he prayed with all of his heart that it would be served out this week.

He wasn't asking for fame or to win the lottery today— just a simple prayer for normality and simple peace for his job.

He was humble and realistic and even though he may be no saint, he felt that he was making a miracle by not being greedy, especially in the kind of society that their generation was living through at the moment.

He wasn't asking for much. Just for peace and quietness this week.

(He ignored the dark feeling his gut instinct gave him and decided to just cling onto that childish hope that maybe, maybe, the universe wouldn't be such a bitch to him just for this week.)

Junichiro glanced at Tsurugi and Izuna from the small gap between Sleepy Ash and the door and could see the living tension and slight fear in their eyes and knew that the same thought was running through their heads too.

Was Mahiru going to be fine after this?

"A-Ahem."

The thick and defeating silence was graciously cut by Hyde who couldn't stand how stuffy the room was getting from the tension anymore. All heads turned to him and he slightly squeaked from the ominous vibes they were giving him and rushed to hide behind Licht's back.

Seeing Hyde's vile effort to try to calm things down, Mahiru decided that it was just simpler to help ease the situation as well since he was technically the root cause of it.

Shocking every C3 member in the vicinity (excluding Mikuni), he got up with a huge sigh as he firmly readjusted his mask and hood to make sure no traces of his identity would leak out. He pulled his gloves back a little bit more to reaffirm himself that they wouldn't slip.

It wasn't like a reconfirmation, it was more like consolation as he tried desperately to cling onto any last hook of hope that everything was going to be fine, a feeling which seemed to disappear every second.