Chapter 23

(A/N: You guys can write down in the comments below on how you want the 'bodyguard trial' to be like for a few of the days in the week!

Like, all of them going to the beach, mall, park, etc. And Shiro has to accompany them to all of these places that you guys write! Please write down in the comments on where you want them to go during that week! )

~{&}~

"Wait, you saw him?" Hyde questioned incredulously as he stared at Sleepy Ash, who was averting his gaze with a blank expression on his face, and all of the other remaining people in the room were acting as if they weren't necessarily worried for him so as to not steer up panic but they were doing a very bad job at it.

Sleepy Ash sighed for the nth time,"Yes, I did. I told you that three times already but you are still asking that question? What a pain..."

Hyde pouted, annoyed at his older brother's nonchalant words,"I mean, who wouldn't?! You just saw Mahiru in a freaking convenience store! How small of a world do we even live in? It sounds too coincidental to be true!"

"But it is, and nothing's changing that," Sleepy Ash flat out spilled the tea, causing the blonde to hold in a growl.

The Servamp of Sloth glanced at his younger brother before averting his gaze to the side, and flashes of the truth of what had happened moments ago pierced his head painfully.

He assumed that it was an ordinary day after the whole 'Mahiru's not his Eve anymore' fiasco (besides that he was going to have this 'bodyguard trial' with the C3's fox); have a nightmare about Mahiru leaving him, wake up panting and regretting his life decisions over and over again for thirty minutes with self-loathe, decide to get his lazy ass up and relive another day of suffering by doing anything a human would do.

It was like he was grasping onto that feeble hold he had on that tiny string of hope by doing anything possible to keep his head afloat from the sea of his demon's desires, even though he knew it was all futile to try.

Everyday was the same.

Except, this day was different (ironically).

Yes, he did have a nightmare again. Yes, he did wake up heaving and panting. Yes, he did have a 'I regret my life dearly' session for a few moments.

But that was what set it apart, because the session was only for about a few moments. It wasn't for thirty minutes or so (his best timing was forty-eight minutes, he counted), it was only for a few seconds, and after that, the hollow feeling just... dissipated away like fog.

And it's not only that; he was woken up from his nightmare not because his body's natural instinct was to get up, but it was because... something seemed to send an electric shock through his body, perhaps?

Even though that electric shock was random and painful at first, the aftermath felt... comforting, to put it that way.

It felt like his hollowness was filled up a little. It felt like after that shock was administered, he had a weak connection or bond formed to something or someone. He didn't know what it was, but after he tasted the bitterness of the shock, sweetness enveloped his taste palate, and maybe that was why he decided to cut his self-wallowing session short.

He, for once, got up early and managed to see Lily still playing a bit with the kids before the blonde goes off on his daily routine, and when Lily saw him awake, he was flabbergasted yet relieved.