Chapter 17

"I demand an explanation! Why the hell did you specifically choose me to do this bodyguard service instead of the others?!" Shiro slammed his hands onto the table of Touma's as he glared at him through those peepholes of his in his mask.

Touma looked up slightly from the paperwork he held in his hands, and set the coffee that he was drinking down on the table but returned his focus to the paperwork,"You're making a ruckus. Stop being so loud, you're disrupting my work."

"I think that I deserve to be loud right now after discovering the fact that you specifically chose me to do the trial-bodyguard service,even though you knew of my current situation!" Shiro tore his mask off,revealing a brunette known as Mahiru.

"MahiMahi-Chan..." Tsurugi sighed as he tried to stop Mahiru from exploding even further by grabbing his arm.

Mahiru snatched his arm away from Tsurugi's half-assed grip,and glared at him,"Don't you dare 'MahiMahi-Chan' me, Tsurugi."

He then turned back to the nonchalant Touma who was just reading the paperwork in his hands and ignoring his existence,"Touma-San, couldn't you have just chosen someone else? My relationship with the Servamps is terrible and you know it!"

"Especially with that damned Sleepy Ash who regarded me as trash!" He added on,which made Touma glance at him from the paperwork be was staring at.

Touma sighed as he set the paperwork down on his desk and crossed his legs as he turned his chair so that he was facing Mahiru completely,and entwined his fingers as he put his chin down on them.

He studied Mahiru with a keen and knowing eye, and that made the latter gulp at the intense stare he was giving but decided to suck it up.

After a few more beats of silence and intense staring, Touma spoke up,"Tell me, Mahiru. Do you like the C3?"

That question took Mahiru aback as Tsurugi just stared at the scene unfolding from behind,and after a few moments of intense silence,Mahiru slowly nodded his head albeit slightly unsure.

Touma nodded and asked another question,"What was your first impression of the C3 when you were still the Eve of Sloth? Did you hate it?"

"I...I guessed that I thought it was kind of...weird," Mahiru replied awkwardly,and Touma nodded at his answer as he studied him again.

He hummed as he blew some of his fringe away,"The reason why you came to the C3 for help is because Sleepy Ash had wronged you, right? You came here out of your own will."

"Where are you going with this?"

"The C3 aims to protect and draw a silver line between vampires and humans," Touma ignored and cut him off as he continued his speech.

"You have helped us a lot with your services, helping us eradicate vampires that have gone against orders. You are very faithful to us and have also grown much more stronger," Touma praised and Mahiru stared with pride swirling in his chest.

"But..." Touma added in,making the brunette raise one of his eyebrow in curiosity.

The man stayed silent for a few seconds,adding even more tension into the air,before finally speaking up,"You still dwell in the past. You're not moving on, and the only thing fuelling you is anger for Sleepy Ash, which is not a good thing."

Mahiru was taken aback as he processed what Touma said in his mind,and stuttered,"T-That's... That's not..."

" 'That's not' what?" Touma questioned with a piercing gaze that bore holes into Mahiru's head, making the latter gulp while Tsurugi sighed and he continued," 'That's not' what, Mahiru?"