Chapter Six

SIX

"What?" I whirled around, untangling myself from my uncle's grasp and letting the dagger fall from my hand. It clanked loudly once it connected with the floor.

"Why do you think I forced you to marry him? I couldn't have you running off with a human when you could so easily finish Bruce off," my uncle said. He leaned against my dresser, his smile widening and it gave him a crazed look. "No one will suspect. You're the closest to him than anyone else. His guard is down when he's with you. It will be so easy."

"And I thought you just wanted to get rid of me," I sarcastically said and shook my head furiously. "You're out of your mind, you know."

"Oh, on the contrary my dear," he said, his lips doing a cooing sound. "I absolutely know what I'm doing."

"Well, count me out," I said, trying to keep my voice down. "I hate Bruce, but I don't hate him that much to - to - to -" I glance toward the dagger and quickly look away. Bruce didn't deserve this. No one deserved that.

"You'll hate him. Believe me, you will and when you do ..." he bend down and retrieved the dagger. His fingers trailed over the sharp edge of it. His smile glinted off of the clear surface. "You'll do the task at hand."

I backed away from him as he took measured steps toward me. My back hit the wall and I wished I was able to disappear. "Imagine the freedom you'll have. He'll be dead. You'll be free. I'll help you escape. No one will ever see you again. You can run off with your human and no one will know. No one."

He took a hold of my hand and laid the dagger on my palm before he bend my fingers over it. His fingers tighten over mine. My eyes stared at the dagger. It gives off an evil glint when the sun light shines over it. I can see it shaking. It's my hand.

"I'll become a murderer," I said, just above a whisper. "I'll be the one that will know. I will know."

"It's a price you must pay," he said, his hand pulling away from mine. This time, I do not drop the dagger. This makes him smile.

"Didn't anyone tell you everything comes with a price?"

___

I looked up at the darkening sky, the stars beginning to shine and the moon a dull ache of roundness subdued behind a fleeting cloud. I laid back in the reclining chair and watched the slowly shifting clouds. It was starting to get a little chilly as the wind picked up its tempo. I shivered.

"What are you doing up here, ma'am?" I turned around to see the red head servant. She pulled the door and placed a brick by the open doorway so it wouldn't shut. She turned back to me. "Are you trying to get lost?"

"All I can do in this prison is explore and I discovered the roof," I said and raised my eyes back to the stars.

"You should kill him."

I snapped my head to the side. My eyes going wide. "Excuse me?"

"You should come inside," she repeated, her brows knitted in questioning. "Are you okay, miss?"

"Yeah, super." I licked my dried lips and stood up from my sitting position. My muscles protested as I started to stretch. I walked toward the open doorway. "Where's Bruce?"

"In his office, of course." The servant pushed the brick away and released the door. It banged loudly closed. I walked down the stairs while she followed behind me. "He spends most of his time in there."

"Where is that?" I asked, my eyes darting around the various closed doors.

"Right next to his bedroom." I wait for her to elaborate. She simply gave out a small sigh. "Follow me."