The Problem with Time Zones

Riley's POV

"This is hopeless" I complain making my boyfriend laugh. I could picture the way he's biting his lip in a failed attempt to not laugh at me and the glittering way his eyes are probably shining right now and it all adds to my irritation.

"Only because you refuse to give into me" he points out...and while he may be right. I wasn't about to admit that. I'm not crazy.

"Lucas" I sigh. Tonight was New Year's and while the idea of the holiday is as simple and straightforward as an idea can get...we were making it unbelievably complicated. Or rather our time zones were doing the complicating.

Lucas was away at Texas A&M where he went to school...and returned home early to spend time with family. It was sweet in theory but frustrating currently because I was here in New York...where midnight was happening in an hour while Lucas wouldn't be ringing in the holiday for another two hours.

"What?" He laughs. "We'll live without one hour of communication."

I bite my lip and plop down onto my bed. Of course he was right. We go longer without talking every night when we go to sleep but this holiday came with certain traditions and expectations. Like kisses at midnight.

Who would Lucas have the opportunity to kiss if we weren't attached at the ear.

"Riles." I hum in response and earn a deep sigh from my boyfriend of five years. "What?"

"What?" I repeat. I hadn't said anything.

"I can hear your overthinking. What's bothering you?"

I bite down on my lip, an anxious tick I've acquired in my first semester of college. "Nothing."

"Liar. Riley, I know you better than I know myself. I can tell when something's bothering you so, spill."

I stand up and start pacing. "Maybe I'm just worried about all the southern bells who are in your time zone" I admit, stopping in the middle of the floor awaiting his response.

"You're worried about...me ringing in the new year with someone else?"

I nod. As if he can see me. "Riley. Why would I ever even look at another girl when I have you?"

"The aforementioned same time zone, for starters."

He laughs. "I really don't care what time zone you're in Riles. And besides, it's only three more years and then we'll be in the same time zone. Permanently."

"Oh yay." I deadpan making him laugh harder. "I just miss you" I admit, clutching my phone harder as if willing it to stay attached to my ear, willing the phone call to continue forever.

"I miss you too" he replies before pausing once for apparent dramatic effect. "So much that I got you something."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "What?" I look around the room as if it could've just poofed itself into existence. Of course, nothing appears.

"Yea. Just uh-." A knock sounds on my door and my heart starts hammering in my chest.

Flowers? Chocolate? Something not totally clichè?

I open my door without pause and my heart jumps into my throat making talking completely impossible. "Happy New Year."

Staring right at me and speaking without a phone to his ear is my boyfriend. His hair styled back, a pair of ripped jeans on his legs and a flannel slightly unbuttoned.

I clear my throat and blink a few times before I open my mouth to speak. "It's not New Year's yet." Is what I come up with and Lucas laughs, dropping his bags and grabbing my waist.

"It is in some time zone" he shrugs and then his lips land on mine.