Goldie

Riley's POV

One night stands are not something I generally partake in but when you're dumped by your boyfriend and flunk the only final that was standing between you and your college graduation you need something to get your mind off it. Which is how I ended up here.

The guy from the bar was nice. He was easy to talk to and he had eyes that a girl could stare into all day which is why when he asked me if I wanted to go back to his place I couldn't help but say yes.

Now, I was lying in his bed naked and trying to plan my escape. There was no way I was going to suffer through the awkward morning chat where we both skirted around what happened and the fact that we would never see each other again.

I pull back the blankets, careful not to wake him as I sneak out of the bed and flit around the room collecting various pieces of clothing.

Once I'm dressed I take one last look at the guy and sigh. Tonight was certainly the best night I've had in awhile even without the sex. He was genuinely a nice guy and he was definitely fun to be around but I couldn't stay. I couldn't take another hard conversation.

I turn on my heels and walk out to the living room only to stop when a golden retriever prances over to greet me. My heart melts and I can't help but kneel down to pet the adorable animal. "Hi there" I coo as I scratch behind it's ears. "Aren't you just the cutest thing ever?"

I'm so enthralled in the dog that I don't even hear the footsteps behind me until his rough voice interjects. "I see you meet Goldie."

My eyes widen as I spin around to face the man whose bedroom I'd just escaped. "Um yea" I reply awkwardly, standing up. "Is it a boy or a girl?"

"Girl" he replies. "She was a gift from my mom when I finished vet school" he explains. "I grew up on a farm in Texas" he adds and my eyes widen. What was a country boy doing in New York and why did I suddenly feel the need to know everything about him.

"What brought you to New York?" I ask curiously.

He chuckles, rubbing his neck and I try not to stare at the way his biceps ripple. He certainly was attractive, that much was clear as he stood in front of me with nothing but a pair of boxers on his built form. "A girl" he admits and my eyes widen.

He had a girlfriend? "Oh" I reply awkwardly as I step back from him.

He laughs, shaking his head. "She broke up with me" he explains. "About a month ago" he adds. "But I fell in love with the city and couldn't leave."

Now that I understood. New York was the city of dreams...it was my home and I loved everything about it. "I get that" I smile softly. "And uh I'm sorry about your girlfriend. I uh just got dumped myself" I admit.

I had no idea why I suddenly found myself opening up to him but it's like I couldn't stop myself. "When?" he asks curiously.

I blush, biting my lip. "Yesterday."

"Ah" he chuckles. "Rebound sex. That explains the uh sneaking out."

My heart drops into my stomach as I shake my head. I suppose that was my intention but now...I don't know. "I shouldn't have tried to sneak out. I just-I don't do this" I admit, throwing my hands up in frustration. "I like relationships. I like having stability" I explain. "This-ugh this was a mistake."

He bows his head but nods in understanding. "If that's what you think" he replies. "Or" he says, looking back up at me and taking a cautious step towards me. "Maybe it wasn't and maybe me catching you on your way out is fate" he offers, looking into my eyes intently.

My breath hitches in my throat as his hand reaches out to caress my cheek. My eyes flutter shut involuntarily and suddenly his lips are on mine. I freeze for a millisecond before coming to my senses and moving my lips with his.

He grabs my waist, pulling me closer as his tongue swipes across my bottom lip asking for entrance. I pull back breathlessly and stare up at him. "As much as I would love to keep kissing you, don't you think I should get your name?"

He laughs, smiling brightly. "Lucas."

My heart flutters and I smile. "I'm Riley" I introduce myself.

"Pretty" he compliments. "Do you really have to go Riley?" he asks and I quirk my lips to the side over-thinking the situation. I wanted to but...

"I just got out of a relationship" I remind him gently.

He nods, caressing my cheek. "I get that but it is late and I'd hate to put you in an Uber at this hour. At least spend the night, just on the couch if you'd prefer and then maybe...breakfast? A friendship at least" he suggests hopefully.

I smile, nodding my head. "Okay" I concede. "But maybe we could work up to something more than friendship...in time."

"I'd like that" he replies sweetly. "So? Couch or bed?"

"I'll take the couch" I answer and he nods, turning to go collect some blankets while I curl up in the couch.

Goldie comes barreling towards me, stopping in front of me and I smile as I reach out to pet her. "Thank you" I whisper. As crazy as it sounded this dog was responsible for me staying and I had a feeling that this was just the beginning.

~ 💛🐶💛 ~

A/N: First of three?! My first trilogy of one shots!!! Stay tuned for part two next week 💛🐶