Long Distance

*Inspired By: Made in the USA by Demi Lovato*

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Riley's POV

"You tell me girl everyday you're my everything"

I'm in class failing in my attempt to pay attention to anything my professor is saying. I'm so incredibly bored with my history class, apparently spoiled from my many years of having my dad as my history teacher. I try to get Maya's attention but she's too busy making googly eyes at my uncle who somehow ended up in the same class as us. I figured my blonde best friend had more than something to do with it.

My phone suddenly vibrates in my pocket, causing me to pull it out and glance down at the screen, a smile pulling at my lips.

BEAR: Morning Bean 🌞

Lucas was going to school in Texas at UT so he was an hour behind meaning while it was already almost nine o'clock here it was just turning eight there.

RILEY: Morning Bear 🌞

BEAR: What class are you in?

RILEY: I'm not in class. I'm a good student. I would never text during class 😜

BEAR: Liar.

RILEY: History 😕

BEAR: Yikes. Sorry princess.

BEAR: Miss you 😢

RILEY: I miss you too 😢

"Miss Matthews" my teacher calls on me making me break away from my world with Lucas. "Do you know the answer?"

"Um no" I admit shyly as I grip my phone, feeling it vibrate in my hand.

"Pay attention Miss Matthews. You aren't paying to text your boyfriend" she says as I roll my eyes. I really wasn't a rebel or anything, I just missed Lucas.

BEAR: I love you Riley. Always

RILEY: I love you too

"No matter what the people say I know that we will never break"

I'm walking down the hallway I lived in, heading towards my dorm. I unlock my door and slip into my room, leaving my door open as I sit down at my desk, turning on my laptop before grabbing a snack from my mini fridge.

I glance at the clock and sigh, knowing that Lucas is still in class for another hour back in Texas. I open my email and scroll through the various messages when voices fill the hallway.

"Should we invite Riley?" I hear a voice ask, it sounds like the girl Courtney that lives two doors down.

"What's the point? She'll opt out to mope about her boyfriend" I hear another girl from my floor Gretchen reply. I'm finding it hard to believe that they don't notice my open door at this point but they seem oblivious.

"It's sad really. I mean he's probably sleeping around behind her back. No guy can stay faithful" Lily adds making tears spring from my eyes.

"He'll probably break up with her during the holiday break. That's when everyone gets dumped" Gretchen says nonchalantly as her phone dings. "Shit we're late for practice, let's get going."

The girls pile out of the hallway and I let the tears fall from my face. It wasn't like I believed them, I knew Lucas would never do that to me but hearing people say those things hurt. Like I wasn't good enough for Lucas, it was my worst fear since the beginning of our relationship and now it was coming back to haunt me.

My phone rings and I look down to see Lucas calling. I sigh as I wipe away my tears, answering the phone.

"Hey" I say in my best bright Riley voice.

"What's wrong jellybean?" he asks immediately making me sigh, of course he realized something was wrong, he's Lucas.

"Nothing" I lie as the tears start to fall again. "Everything" I admit. "I miss you and these girls on my floor were saying that you're probably cheating on me and waiting to come home to dump me, and I just" I sob uncontrollably. "I can't do this anymore Lucas. I miss you too much."

"I know Riley. I feel the same way" he says softly. "Look up princess" he insists and the second I look up my eyes are met with Lucas' stunning emerald ones staring back at me.

"Surprise."

"Every night we're apart I'm still next to you"

"You can't leave again" I insist as he and I lie in bed together after our long awaited reunion, the sheets tangled around us as I lay my head on his chest.

"I think I'm gonna transfer here at the end of the semester" he admits as I smile before it quickly fades.

"Lucas you can't transfer because of me" I insist as I trace circles on his bare chest, his hand rubbing shapes onto my hip as he rests his hand on me.

"I'm not Riles. You're a big part of it but I miss New York and our friends. I want it all back" he says as I let the smile return to my face.

"Then feel free" I smile making him chuckle as he kisses the top of my head. "I missed this. Being next to you."

"Riles even when we're apart I'm still with you. Always. You know that" he says sweetly as my heart swells. "Despite what those girls were saying" he adds annoyed. "By the way I'd like to meet all three of them."

I giggle, burying my face in his chest as he holds me closer. "I love you Lucas" I mutter against his skin, placing a soft kiss to his chest.

"I love you too Riley" he says as he lifts my chin, bringing my lips back to his for a perfect kiss. Everything finally falling into place.