I Can't Say Yes

Riley's POV

It's been three days. Three days since Lucas proposed to me. I didn't know what to say. I loved Lucas I really did but there was something Lucas didn't know. Something that could change everything.

"Riles are you okay?" Maya asks as she walks into my bedroom having just gotten back from taking a shower.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be okay?" I ask as Maya sits down on the bed worriedly.

"I found something in our bathroom this morning" she says and my heart drops. "Riley why wouldn't you tell me?" she asks and my eyes fill with tears.

"Lucas asked me to marry him" I confess falling to the floor in tears.

"What?" she asks in shock as she comes to join me on the floor. "That's amazing Riles."

"I didn't say yes."

"Why?" she asks in shock and I cry even harder.

"Because I can't say yes when he doesn't know we're having a baby" I cry as I stand up abruptly. "I can't sit there and let him ask me to spend the rest of his life with me when he doesn't know that I'm gonna be a mom. We're only twenty years old Maya. This wasn't supposed to happen."

"Honey he's gonna be shocked but do you honestly think he's gonna take back the proposal? Lucas would never leave you and especially not his baby."

"Oh great so he stays because I'm carrying his baby."

"That's not what I'm saying. Riley he wants to marry you. Tell him about the baby and then say yes" she says sweetly. "And no matter what happens I'm here."

"Thanks Peaches."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

It's pouring rain by the time I have to leave for class. The nausea is overwhelming but I know I need to go anyway. I walk out of Maya and I's apartment and I run right into someone standing outside of our door.

"Oh my gosh sorry" I say quickly until I look up and realize who it was that I ran into.

"Sorry princess" Lucas says smiling at me and my heart sinks.

"I gotta get to class" I say trying to brush past him.

"Okay I'll be here" he says stopping me in my tracks.

"Lucas it's pouring. What do you mean you'll be here?"

"Riley I will wait all day and night for your reply to my proposal in the pouring rain" he says and suddenly my nausea is even worse.

"Uh oh" I say holding my hand over my mouth as I run back into the apartment. I run into the bathroom and start throwing up not even realizing I was followed until I hear Lucas talk.

"Bean are you sick?" he asks worriedly as he sits down next to me rubbing my back soothingly. I close my eyes as I rest my head evening out my breathing.

"Something like that" I mutter and Lucas looks at me confused. "Lucas there's a reason I didn't say yes" I confess as I stand up and make my way into my room.

"Did I do something? Riley please just tell me" Lucas begs and I start to cry again.

"We're having a baby" I whisper and at first I think he didn't hear me but suddenly his arms are around me and he's holding me close.

"How long have you known?" he asks and I take a deep breath.

"About a week" I reply and Lucas' grip on me tightens.

"You should've told me Bean" he says seriously.

"I was going to but then you proposed and I couldn't. I couldn't tell you, I couldn't say yes, I can't make you stay" I cry and Lucas steps back from me looking at me confused.

"Make me stay?" he asks. "Riley you don't have to make me. I'm in love with you and we're having a baby. I'm not going anywhere. You're not in this alone" he assures me stroking my hair.

"We're only twenty" I say sadly and Lucas nods.

"I know Riles but we're gonna get through this. I promise."

"Don't make a promise you can't keep" I warn him but he only smiles.

"How's this for a promise?" he asks getting down on one knee. "Riley Matthews, you are the love of my life, my princess, my bean, my city girl, and now you're gonna be a mom, the mother of our child. I love you so much Riley and I want to spend the rest of our lives proving that to you. I'm gonna be the best dad and husband I can be. But first I need an answer. So Riley Matthews, will you marry me?" he asks and for the first time today my tears aren't from fear, they're from happiness.

"I do."