An Enchanting Elevator Ride

Riley's POV

"I can't believe I actually have to go to this thing tonight" I complain into my phone as I rush around my bathroom gathering up my makeup.

"Oh come on Riles it won't be that bad" Maya reassures me on the other end of the line.

"Not bad. Maya, Charlie Gardner is my boss. How can this not be bad" I complain. I got a job at a non-profit law firm right out of Harvard and unluckily for me my ex Charlie was the man in charge.

"Okay well try to make the best out of it" she says before a sudden shriek comes from her end of the phone. "Josh" I hear her giggle and I sigh. Josh and Maya had gotten together as soon as we graduated high school and they were currently more nauseating than ever since their engagement a few weeks ago.

"Hi Josh" I say into the phone.

"Hey niece" he shouts. "Um I'd love to let you and Maya sit and talk but we have plans tonight. Have fun at your ball. Love you" he says quickly before hanging up. I roll my eyes and moan in annoyance as I pick up my mascara running it over my lashes.

"You okay?" Farkle asks as he peeks his head into my bathroom.

"Just Josh being Josh" I complain as Farkle sits on the edge of the bathtub. "You hear from Smackle?" I ask worriedly.

"No" he says sadly. Farkle and Smackle got married about two years ago and they were happy as could be until recently when she got a new job offer in California. Farkle didn't want to leave New York. Needless to say they were having some problems so Farkle was staying with me for the time being.

"I'm sorry" I say apologetically.

"Don't be. You didn't do anything" he says as he looks up at me. "Is that what you're wearing?" he laughs taking in my appearance. I was wearing a tight pencil skirt and a flowy white blouse.

"What's wrong with it?" I ask as I look down at my outfit.

"You're going to a ball Riley not a business dinner. Why don't you wear the dress in the back of your closet?" he asks and I freeze. The dress he was referring to was my wedding dress. The dress I was planning to wear the day I married the love of my life. That was before he cheated on me.

"Farkle it's too fancy" I say shaking my head.

"Riley it's a ball gown. You're going to a ball. It's perfect" he says leaving the bathroom briefly before returning with the dress in hand. "Wear it. Trust me."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

After another hour of getting ready I finally head out the door ready for the ball. I head towards the elevator bank and climb on. Just before the doors shut completely a hand reaches in making the doors open again. I'm taken back when the man enters the elevator. He was tall and muscular, and in his dress pants and white button up he looked extremely handsome.

"Hi" he says politely breaking the silence.

"Hey" I respond back as the lights in the elevator suddenly go out and we stop moving. I scream loudly scared by the sudden darkness but soon the emergency lights kick on. I look over at the handsome man and he looks just as frightened as I was.

"Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll have you out soon" we hear over the intercom. I sigh deeply and look down at my phone realizing that I was now running late.

"Hi" the man says again making me laugh a bit as I look up from my phone.

"You said that already" I tease as I lock eyes with him. He had very pretty eyes, a sparkly green color that were easy to get lost in if you looked at him long enough.

"Sorry I don't know what you're supposed to say in these situations" he laughs as he takes a seat on the ground.

"You mean you don't get stuck in elevators on a daily basis?" I laugh as I lean up against the wall.

"Not usually" he smiles brightly. He had a nice smile too. Damn could this guy get any more perfect? "I'm Lucas" he says and suddenly I hear his sexy country accent making me bite the inside of my lip.

"I'm Riley" I say smiling brightly.

"Riley. That's pretty" he adds. "May I ask where you're going all dressed up like that?" he asks politely.

"Oh" I laugh forgetting I was wearing a wedding dress. "I'm going to a fundraising ball for the non-profit I work at."

"You're a lawyer?" he asks curiously and I nod my head. "Wow. Impressive."

"Thanks" I say smiling down at him. "What about you cowboy? What's your story?"

"I just moved here from Texas" he informs me and I nod noting that this was where his accent was from.

"Work or pleasure?" I ask and he sighs bowing his head.

"Divorce actually. Needed a change of scenery" he adds sadly.

"Wow. I'm sorry" I say apologetically.

"It's not your fault. You didn't cheat on me" he says and I scoff at that.

"Been there" I say thinking back to the day when I caught my fiancé in bed with one of my college friends.

"You were married?"

"No. Engaged. He cheated on me with a friend of mine" I say as I sit down on the ground across from him.

"People suck" he says and I nod knowingly as silence falls around us.

"So" I say trying to keep the conversation going. "Where were you off to?"

"Business meeting. I'm meeting with an investor to help me open my own vet clinic."

"A vet huh?" I say smiling. "You like animals?"

"Love them. I grew up on a farm surrounded by animals my whole life. In fact I helped birth a baby horse when I was a teenager."

"Oh yea" I say intrigued.

"Yea. No one else was around and so I had to call the doctor to walk me through it. Sophia ended up giving birth to a beautiful Palomino. That was the moment I knew I wanted to be a vet."

"That must've been amazing" I say in disbelief.

"I like to think so" he says proudly when suddenly the elevator starts moving again. "I guess they fixed it" Lucas says as he gets up brushing off his pants.

"Yea I guess so" I say sadly as I stand back up. I was more than bummed that they had fixed it so soon. I was actually really enjoying talking to the handsome stranger. The doors open as we reach the lobby of the apartment building.

"Well I guess I should let you get to your ball" Lucas says as we step off of the elevator.

"And you have a meeting to get to" I say faking a smile. I really didn't want him to leave.

"Yea I guess I do" he says looking down at the ground awkwardly. "Well it was certainly enchanting to meet you Riley" he adds as he looks back up at me.

"Thank you Lucas. It was lovely meeting you too" I say smiling as I start to walk away.

"Hey Riley" Lucas shouts suddenly stopping me in my tracks.

"Yes?" I ask turning around eagerly.

"Do you maybe wanna get dinner tomorrow night?" he asks and I smile widely at the offer.

"I'd love to Lucas" I answer unable to wipe the grin off my face.

"Great" he says smiling back at me making me extremely thankful that the elevator broke down.