Study Buddies

Lucas' POV

I'm in the library trying to study for my anatomy midterm but as always the stunning brunette from my class is sitting a couple tables over, distracting the hell out of me. I wouldn't even come to the library if my roommate wasn't so unbelievably annoying but he is. He has a different girl over every night, either locking me out completely or managing to wake me up. The library was my only quiet place, unfortunately the brunette seemed to be in the same boat as I was, she was never not here. I was beginning to think her dorm was nonexistent and she lived in the library.

Her long hair cascaded down past her shoulder blades, her laugh almost angelic, and her eyes were like a chocolate fountain I wanted to drown in. Shit I was supposed to be studying my books not her. I look back down at my books until suddenly I hear someone sit beside me, when I do I'm shocked to find the girl I'd been looking at.

"You are here almost as much as I am" she laughs adorably. "What awful class are you studying for?" she asks curiously as she glances at my textbooks.

"Um anatomy" I stutter as her smile widens.

"Pre-med, nursing?" she guesses but I shake my head.

"Uh, vet student actually, or at least I hope to be one day" I inform her happily.

"You like animals, very cool" she says sweetly.

"What about you? What are you studying for?"

"Promise not to laugh?" she asks and I smile in assurance, "I'm pre-law, my exam is in criminal justice" she explains as my eyes widen. Okay so now I definitely knew this girl was out of my league, beautiful and smart.

"Wow" I say in astonishment, "that's impressive."

"Thanks" she blushes as she averts her eyes away from mine, her phone buzzing. She looks down at the message she's received and rolls her eyes.

"Great" she sighs as she puts her phone back in her pocket.

"What?" I ask curiously.

"My uh, my roommate is going out on a date tonight, meaning I have no one to help me study. She's my flashcard guru" she adds making a chuckle escape my lips before I can stop it.

"Flashcard guru?" I tease making her smile as she nods.

"It's a thing" she assures me, "but now I'm studying alone" she sighs and though I know I shouldn't I can't keep the words from flying out of my mouth.

"I could help you study, if you help me of course" I add, a smile on my face.

"Really?" she asks in shock.

"Really" I assure her, "but I should probably get your name first" I add laughing lightly.

"Right" she laughs as she shakes her head as if in disbelief that she forgot that she was supposed to introduce herself, "I'm Riley" she says sweetly.

"I'm Lucas" I reply, my southern accent showing a bit more, her eyes twinkling as she looks at me.

"I love it" she replies almost in a daze. "So now that we know one another, why don't you come study in my dorm, unless yours is better" she says as she stands up.

"Definitely not" I assure her as I stand with her. "So how long are we studying for Ms. Riley?" I ask playfully as we start walking out of the library, heading across campus to the residence hall.

"All-nighter" she smiles, "first one to fall asleep buys breakfast" she adds with a smirk making me laugh.

"Deal" I agree happily. Maybe studying wouldn't be so bad after all.