A Blessing in Disguise

Riley's POV

"Did you print those sales reports for me?" Angela asks me as she peeks her head around my cubicle. I sigh, tossing papers around my desk as I look for the report that I know I printed.

Ever since my break-up with Lucas my head hasn't exactly been screwed on correctly. I was forgetful and unorganzied which was beginning to not only affect me work but the work of my co-workers since I couldn't seem to complete a single task correctly.

"I know that I printed it" I tell her frantically. Suddenly my phone begins to ring and I groan. The last thing I needed right now was a phone call to add to my list of tasks. I reach over to grab the phone and bring it to my ear while I continue to rifle through my papers. "Riley Matthews" I answer politely.

"Hello Ms. Matthews. This is nurse Jacobs at New York Medical. I have your boyfriend Lucas Friar here in the emergency room, he was in a pretty bad accident."

My heart stops. I figured that Lucas hadn't gotten a chance to change me as his emergency contact yet. "Is he okay?" I ask worriedly. If he wasn't then I didn't know what I'd do. We had only just broken up and I'd be lying if I said I didn't still love him. I couldn't imagine a world without him.

"He's been sent up for an MRI to check for any internal injuries. He was asking for you."

My heart swells. "I'll there in ten minutes" I tell the nurse before hanging up the phone and looking up at Angela. "My boy-. My friend has been in an accident. I have to go" I explain, grabbing my purse from underneath my desk.

"You can't just leave in the middle of the day."

I shrug. "That's too bad because that's what I'm doing."

I brush past her and walk out of the office towards my car. I unlock the doors and climb in, speeding to the hospital while worst case scenarios run rampant in my head. "He'll be okay" I whisper to myself.

When I pull up to the hospital I throw the car into park and run into the building. I make my way towards the reception desk and place my hands in the counter. "Lucas Friar."

The woman puts his name into the computer and nods. "He was moved from the ER a few minutes ago. He's in a private room, room 223" she informs me and I let out a sigh of relief. The fact that he was moved to a regular room rather than the ICU was certainly a good sign.

I thank her before rushing to the elevator and pressing the up button violently. I wait for a few doctors to walk off before climbing on and hitting the two button repeatedly.

While it's only one floor above me I still feel as if the ride is eternal until finally the doors part and I sprint to the room. His name is written underneath the room number and I let out a deep sigh before opening the door.

Lucas' head snaps up at the sound and I almost burst into tears when I see him. He's alive but he has cuts covering his face and he's shirtless and wrapped in bandages. "Luke what happened?" I ask as I walk towards him.

"A guy ran the red light and hit my car. I flipped." My heart drops into my stomach as I reach him.

"Are you gonna be okay?" I whisper.

He nods. "I got a couple broken ribs, a concussion and some scrapes but I'll be alright. You didn't have to come."

I shake my head, taking a seat on the bed beside him. "I couldn't stay away."

"Even after everything?"

I nod, taking his hand in mine. "The fight was stupid."

"I shouldn't have reacted the way I did" he argues. "If you had been pregnant it wouldn't have been your fault and it was wrong of me to blame you."

"I forgot a pill, it would've been my fault."

He squeezes my hand. "It wouldn't have been anyone's fault because it's wrong to place blame on a person when in reality while it would've been unplanned it would've been a blessing nonetheless."

Tears well up in my eyes as I reach forward and throw my arms around him. "I was so scared when they called me" I admit softly. "I thought I actually lost you."

He shakes his head, rubbing my back soothingly. "You could never lose me" he assures me before leaning in to kiss me.

~ ❤👶❤ ~

Exactly a year to date I find myself back in the same hospital but this time Lucas is holding my hand as I breathe through another contraction.

"Luke it hurts" I cry. He nods.

"I know sweetheart. It'll all be worth it soon" he reminds me. My contraction ends but I know it won't be long until another one starts.

"You're never touching me again" I murmur making him chuckle.

"That'll certainly make our honeymoon a little less fun."

I shoot him a glare and he laughs as the doctor comes in with the nurse trailing behind me. "Alright Riley, it's time to push" she tells me as she sits in front of me. "On this next contraction you're going to push through it, okay?"

"Mhm" I nod. I squeeze Lucas' hand as the contraction starts and I push. It hurts like hell and while I know I'll probably end up here a few more times, right now I can't stop thinking of how I can't wait until the baby is out.

Two more contractions and painful pushes later loud screams fill the air. Lucas kisses the top of my head as the nurse wraps up the baby and hands her to me. "Here she is."

I look down at her and tears well up in my eyes. It seemed crazy that Lucas and I had once broken up after fighting over how irresponsible it would've been to bring a child into this world. We had placed blame on something that would've been an accident and now as I look down at our daughter I know that no child could ever be a mistake.

"She looks like you" Lucas says dazedly. "She's beautiful."

I look up at him and lean up to kiss him. "I love you."

"I love you too" he agrees before we both look back down at our little girl.