Her Defense

Riley's POV

Deciding to go into law was one of the easiest decisions that I ever made. Watching my mom be a kick-ass attorney while I was growing up was inspiring and I couldn't wait to follow in her footsteps. Of course, everything looks all well and fun when you're a child.

Now, at twenty-seven years old I'm sitting at the bar exhausted after a long, tiring day of court. The opposing council had certainly given me a run for my money today...not that I would ever admit that to his smug, irritating face. I take another sip of my vodka cranberry, trying to get him and this horrible day out of my mind but it's no use. He haunts me.

I settle my tab, deciding to just go home instead but as soon as I stand up and turn around the breath is stolen from my lungs. Standing across the pub is the very man I was opposed with in court this afternoon.

My mouth goes dry and I feel that all too unfamiliar tingle start to prickle my skin. Not only was he infuriating but he was also probably the most handsome man I've ever laid eyes on which only made this job harder. It was as if he took all my sense as soon as his piercing green eyes met my own dull brown ones. All day today I found myself stumbling over my perfectly crafted defense which only gave the man ammunition to help him win the case.

My poor client.

Maybe I just needed to hook up with some random stranger and these urges to rip the clothes off the plaintiff's attorney would subside and I could focus on my case.

My case. That's what I should go home and work on. I would certainly need to pull an all-nighter to come up with some way to salvage what happened today.

I grab my purse and hope that I can get away from this awkward encounter unscathed but unfortunately it seems that fate has other plans. "Miss Matthews" the man says cheekily.

Outside of the courtroom the man dressed just as any other normal young adult, clad in a pair of tight-fitting jeans and a Cowboys sweatshirt. I had thought I heard a southern drawl in his voice today. Apparently I was right. "H-hello Mister Friar" I reply, attempting to keep my wits about me but failing epically as my heart beats frantically in my chest.

What the hell was wrong with me? I was a grown woman, not a hormonal teenager.

"Good day today, huh?" he taunts, stuffing his hands into the pouch of his sweatshirt. I purse my lips, shaking my head at him.

"For you maybe but if you'll excuse me, I have a case to try and reconstruct." I try to step away from him but he catches my wrist. My heart stops and I literally have to remind myself to breathe.

"I have a feeling that you work way too hard Miss Matthews. Perhaps you should learn to let loose a little bit" he suggests. I swallow harshly, turning my gaze back onto him.

"I let loose plenty" I lie. Other than the occasional drink and the sporadic night out with my best friend, I literally lived in my apartment. I had case work piles the size of mountains and enough take-out menus to last me a lifetime. Hell, I hadn't even been with a man since one drunken night in college when I finally gave my virginity to the guy I had been competing against in mock trails all semester. It wasn't anything spectacular and we kept it up for a few months until graduation but we parted ways soon after and never spoke again.

I'd been celibate and alone ever since.

"Okay" he laughs, releasing his grip on me. "Wanna get out of here then?" he asks and despite every single part of me knowing how wrong it is...I nod my head.

*************************************************************************************

His apartment is huge. I'm glad he suggested his place rather than me offering up my small studio. This was a palace in comparison. Of course, I would be moving once my lease ended and hopefully get something a little nicer but I still wasn't making the kind of money that Lucas apparently was. "Win a lot of cases, do you?" I ask teasingly, nursing another cocktail that the gentleman had made me.

"A few" he replies modestly. "Admittedly, hearing that you would be my opposing defense had me a little worried though" he adds. I quirk an eyebrow at him.

"Why? You're clearly better than me" I grumble, taking another sip of my drink.

He shakes his head. "You only say that because I get you flustered. I'm sure that in front of any other attorney, you kick ass." I blush, averting my eyes. Of course he had realized the affect he had on me. He wasn't blind and part of our job was to read people.

"I think I'm going to surrender the case" I admit, looking back up at him. "I don't really want to because I've worked so hard but it just...seems like a conflict of interest" I admit, biting into my bottom lip as I drown into his eyes. He puts down his drink and steps towards me.

"Yea? Do I affect you that much?" he asks, stopping in front of me. I take a step back from him.

"Who said that you were the conflict? Maybe I've fallen for my client" I lie. He laughs, closing the distance between us and plucking my drink from my hand.

"Mhm. Is that why you're in my apartment right now?" he asks and without even thinking, I crash my lips onto his. It was too easy not to. He was right there, his lips so inviting. I couldn't help myself and seemingly he feels the same way because without hesitation his lips move against mine and he scoops me up, carrying me off down the hall.

He plops me onto his bed when we reach his bedroom and I know exactly where this is going and I can't bring myself to put a stop to it. In a haste our clothes are thrown off around the room and Lucas is reaching into his nightstand for a condom. "Holy shit" I murmur when he pulls back to roll it on and I'm able to catch my breath. "Are we really doing this?"

"I hope so" he laughs. "You ready?" he asks once he's gotten the condom wrapped around himself. I inhale shakily but nod my head and without pause he sinks into me causing my head to roll back against the pillows at the head of his bed.

"Oh my god" I groan, closing my eyes as I drift off into complete and utter bliss.

*************************************************************************************

My eyes open slowly the next morning, my body epically sore as memories of last night flash through my mind. I glance at the clock. It was just past six in the morning which meant we still had three hours until we had to be in court. Three hours until I would most certainly have to resign from the case.

"Morning" Lucas smiles, walking out of his ensuite bathroom with a towel around his waist. I swore he looked even sexier in the daylight with water dripping down his defined torso. "Sleep well?"

"Mhm" I hum, running my hands over the bajillion thread count sheets I was tangled in. "You?"

"Like a baby" he murmurs, leaning down to peck my lips. "I left you hot water" he tells me when we pull apart. "You may want to shower off before we head into work."

"Right. I do want to look good for my case resignation" I mumble, climbing out of bed. Lucas clears his throat though, catching my attention.

"You don't have to. I uh I already sent in my own this morning." My eyes widen. Why the hell would he do that?

"Lucas what? Why? Y-you were winning" I stutter, annoyed to admit it.

He shrugs, pulling a shirt over his head. "You would've kicked my ass in that courtroom had I been anyone else and you know it. You deserve a chance to get your client the defense he deserves. You'll get a mistrial and you'll be able to do it all again. It'll be alright."

I stare at him dazedly. "B-but last night when I told you my plan-."

"The second I invited you back here my mind was already made up Riles. No case is worth losing whatever we could have together."

"So, does this mean you want to see me again?" I ask, almost giddily. He laughs, turning back to face me and nodding his head.

"How about dinner tonight? My treat." I blush, nodding my head in agreement.

"I'd like that" I reply before heading into the bathroom to get ready for work.