Stay With Me

Riley's POV

I sit at my desk twirling my wedding band absentmindedly while my students take a test in the desks in front of me. Apparently the sub had gotten through more material than I thought while I was away. I was sorta thankful that I didn't have to actually do much my first week back. A small review and a round of Jeopardy were easy enough.

I try not to let my eyes linger on the desk. The one that belonged to the love of my life, Lucas Friar. The love I had and lost. I bite back tears as I avert my eyes to the window trying to compose myself. I should really ask my Uncle Jonathan if he would let me switch classrooms, any classroom without memories of Lucas would be preferable.

The bell rings and I bolt out of my chair even faster than my students. I escape into the hallway and try to catch my breath but since the night I lost him it's felt as if there's never enough air. I stumble into the gym that's empty since it's the swim unit this month. I let the door click behind me and finally I feel my breaths evening out.

Of course when I look up all I see is prom. Lucas and I dancing together, his hands on my waist and mine around his neck, the perfect cliché high school couple. I close my eyes and it's almost like I can see the decorations, hear the music playing around us as we swayed to the soft melody. Suddenly I feel a hand on the small of my back.

"Remember when you stepped on my toes?" Lucas laughs. I shake my head trying to rid the voice from my head. I knew it wasn't real. Lucas was gone. Yet the voice seemed so real.

I let out a light laugh as I wipe my tears. "Mhm" I answer him even though I know it's delusional. I guess I figure I'm allowed to lose my mind a bit. I did just lose my husband.

"You looked so beautiful that night" he says softly. "Just like you always do princess" he adds. My heart breaks.

"Riles" I hear from the doorway to find a concerned Maya standing there staring at me. "What are you doing in here honey?"

"Going crazy" I admit as she walks towards me. "Do you believe in ghosts?"

"I believe that Lucas would become one to make sure you were okay" she admits with a soft smile. "If that's what you mean" she adds, reading my mind.

"I miss him" I whisper as tears threaten to start falling again. She pulls me into her arms and strokes my hair.

"I know honey" she says softly. "I'm sure he misses you too."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I stand on the subway on my ride home. I try not to look back at the seat. The one I've fallen into more times than I can count. I bite my lip and try to busy my mind with pointless thoughts like what I'll have for dinner and do I overfeed the dog until I hear a chuckle behind me. I spin around quickly to see my subway boy in his usual spot.

"The dog? Really?" he laughs. "That's what you worry about?"

I can't answer him back. That would seem insane. A girl talking to herself. That would totally keep me out of the mental institutions. "Come here. Like old times" he insists as he pats his lap.

The seat has been empty. I know that much. Sitting there shouldn't look that crazy. I take a few steps and take a seat. Lucas smiles as his hand rests on my leg. I jump at the contact. It's in your head I remind myself.

"Remember when you feel into my lap?" he questions.

"Try not to" I mutter softly as he pushes back a strand of hair that had fallen into my face. I go to move it as well since, well he's a ghost. "Coming back to this memory hurts too much Lucas."

"I'm sorry I left princess" he says sadly.

"I just want to go back to being the silly, clumsy girl who fell into your lap" I cry as he nods.

"I know princess. We'll be together again someday. I promise."

"What do I do until then?"

"Hold onto our memories, all the way back to the day we met. You're gonna be okay princess."

"Stay with me" I beg.

"Always princess" he promises as he leans forward to kiss my cheek before vanishing from the space around me.

The subway stops and I step off bringing all my memories with me.