Newborns and Puppies

Riley's POV

I'm sitting at the kitchen table eating my bowl of cereal as Lucas comes down the stairs.

"Good morning beautiful" he says sweetly as he walks over to me placing a gentle kiss on my lips before turning his attention to my growing belly. "Good morning little bean" he says talking to the baby that was growing in my tummy.

We got married a few years back right after we graduated from NYU and now we were living in Texas on his family's ranch, starting a family of our own.

"What time are you going to work babe?" I ask sweetly as he takes a seat across from me.

"Well since I own the clinic I was thinking I'd go in around noon. Don't you have plans with Maya today?" he asks curiously and I nod. Maya and Josh were in town visiting to help me get ready for the baby. Maya was taking me shopping today while Josh was going into the city to get some shots for his newest short film he was working on.

"Yea we're going shopping. What about you? Got any exciting appointments today?"

"Not really but there is an adorable new litter coming in today" he says getting excited and I sigh.

"Lucas no dogs. Maybe in a few years but not right now. The last thing we need is a newborn and a puppy" I say seriously and Lucas nods knowingly as we continue to eat our breakfast. My phone vibrates and I smile when I see Maya's name appear on the screen.

PEACHES: On my way 😊

"Maya is on her way over. I should get ready" I say as I get up from the table.

"Okay. Well have fun today" he says happily but I can tell I hurt his feelings by turning down his puppy idea.

"You too" I say trying to ignore the growing feeling of guilt as I walk towards our bedroom.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Riley you are being totally reasonable" Maya insists as we walk down the aisles at Babies R Us.

"Am I really though" I say sadly feeling like the worst wife ever for turning down his idea.

"Yes. Riley you and Huckleberry are about to have a baby. You can't possibly think it's the right time to bring a puppy into the picture too do you?" she asks making me sigh. I didn't want a puppy but Lucas did and I wanted him to be happy. We continue to walk up and down the aisles and I try to push away my guilt but it's not working. Maya excuses herself to use the restroom and I keep walking around aimlessly until I reach the stuffed animal aisle. I smile as I walk down the aisle surrounded by various animals. I'm about to exit the aisle when I turn and see a small golden retriever stuffed animal. It wasn't a puppy but it was something.

I walk over to the animal and pick it up gently smiling at the small stuffed dog. "Riles what are you doing?" Maya asks as she approaches me.

"What do you think?" I ask as I hold up the puppy.

"I think your and Huckleberry's obsession with animals is getting a little out of hand" she says laughing.

"Whatever" I laugh as I tuck the dog under my arm. "Lucas is gonna love it."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Babe I'm home" I shout as I walk into the house later that evening.

"Hey beautiful" Lucas says sweetly as he comes over to me kissing me quickly before grabbing the bags from my hands. "How was shopping?"

"It was good. How was work?" I ask curiously.

"Good. The puppies were adorable Riley you would've loved them" he says and I smile gently.

"Lucas you do know that I didn't say no to the puppies to upset you right?" I ask worriedly.

"I know. I understand."

"Thank you" I say before continuing mysteriously. "But I didn't want you to think I was totally opposed to the idea so for now" I say grabbing the dog from my purse. "I was thinking this could be our puppy. He's a lot less work and the baby can snuggle with it" I say smiling.

"Aw Riley it's adorable" he says as he grabs the dog out of my hand. "It's perfect" he adds before pulling me into his arms. "I love you Riley."

"I love you too Lucas."