My Ray of Sunshine

Lucas' POV

"Riles are you almost ready to go?" I ask as I walk into our bedroom, finding her standing in front of the mirror critiquing yet another one of her outfits.

"I think I'm gonna change" she says as she turns to look at me. "I don't like this dress."

"What's wrong with it?" I ask confused. She looked beautiful just like always. She was my own personal ray of sunshine even though her eyes were clouding over more and more by the second.

"I just don't like how I look in it. Maybe you should just go and I'll stay home. Yea that sounds like a good idea" she decides as I shake my head.

"Riles it's the grand opening" I argue. My vet clinic was opening today, she had to come with me. "You are coming and you look beautiful as always princess."

"You have to say that. You're my husband" she argues as I roll my eyes.

"Riley Friar" I say sternly as I walk towards her. "I say that you're beautiful because you are" I point out as I wrap my arms around her. "Come on, we're gonna be late for my own opening."

"Fine" she gives with a sigh. "I'll be out in a second."

"Okay" I reply as I lean forward to kiss her before pulling back and heading out to wait for her.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Congrats Ranger Rick" Maya smiles as she walks into the clinic with Josh on her arm. I roll my eyes at my blonde best friend.

"Thanks pancake" I smirk making her laugh as she throws her arms around me. "Now where is that wife of mine?" she asks curiously as she glances around.

"Wife of yours? Maya for the hundredth time I'm married to Riley" I argue as she waves me off making me chuckle. "I think she's in one of the exam rooms. She's not really herself today."

"She still having a hard time?" Maya asks worriedly as I nod. The thing with Riley is that she was never self-conscious until one simple word appeared on a test she took a few months back. I was thrilled to be starting a family with Riley and she was thrilled too. At the time. Then she started gaining weight and now she hated to leave the house. It was ridiculous, she was beautiful as always.

"Yea" I sigh. "I don't know what to do Maya."

"I'll handle the guests. Go talk to her" she insists as she pushes me towards the hallway. "Go" she repeats as I stumble towards the exam room.

I find Riley at the end of the hallway sitting up on the table, her hand on her belly. "Hey princess" I smile as I walk in, closing the door behind me.

"Hi" she replies. "You found me."

"Always" I smile. "Why are you hiding in here?"

"You know why" she answers as I come to take a seat next to her.

"Riles you know you're pregnant right?" I ask making her look at me annoyed. I laugh as I hold up my hands in surrender. "I'm just asking."

"Where's Stacy?" she asks unenthused as I look at her confused. Stacy was my partner at the clinic, without her there was no way I would've been able to afford this place.

"Mingling I assume" I shrug. "Why?"

"You should go mingle with her. It's your big night."

"Yes but my wife is having a bad night which means I'm here. With you."

"You don't have to be. I'll be fine on my own" she says softly. I look at her in complete and utter confusion. I had a feeling this was about more than just tonight.

"Riley" I start but she cuts me off.

"She's really pretty" she says seriously. "Prettier than me."

My head is spinning as I stare at Riley. This wasn't about being pregnant at all. "Riley" I say quickly. "You are the most beautiful girl on the planet. I love you."

"But Stacy" she starts as I shake my head, taking her hand in mine.

"Is an amazing vet who I'm excited to work with. You are my wife who I'm excited to start a family with, to grow old with. Riley, you are everything to me. I would never, ever leave you."

"Never?" she asks, locking her eyes on mine.

"Never" I assure her as I reach forward to caress her cheek. "I love you Riles."

"I love you too" she smiles softly as I lean in and kiss her. "You should really get back to your party."

"We should really get back to my party" I correct her as I hop down and hold out my hand for her to take. "Come on princess."

"Okay" she sighs as she hops down after me, taking my hand. "After you bear" she smiles as she squeezes my hand.

"By the way" I add as we start walking back to the party. "Your wife is looking for you."

"Peaches is here" she exclaims making me laugh as we reach the lobby and she spots Maya in the crowd.

"Go have fun" I laugh as her eyes sparkle back at me.

"Love you" she smiles as she kisses my cheek before running off to Maya.

"Love you too Riles" I shout back at her, watching her shine brighter than the sun.