Meeting the Family

Lucas' POV

When Riley suggested I go to Philly with her to celebrate her uncle's birthday I had jumped at the chance to meet more of her family but now as we waited outside on their doorstep I was nervous as hell. Valentine's Day was supposed to be spent doing romantic, cheesy things and instead I was spending it with my girlfriend's entire family...most of whom I've never met. 

Riley squeezes my hand as the door opens and an older woman with dirty blonde hair opens the door with a smile wide on her face. "Riley! I'm so glad you could make it" she gushes, throwing her arms around her. "Come in" she insists, moving out of the way. We step over the threshold and I take in the room. It was a modest sized living room with sliding glass doors on the back wall, a staircase leading upstairs and a door leading into another room. There was a couch in the center and a television resting on a table in front of it. "How's Cory feeling?" she asks conversationally. 

Cory and Topanga had stayed back in New York because Cory had come down with the flu. "He's okay" Riley shrugs. "I mean, he's been better but he'll be fine" she chuckles, looking up at me. The woman follows Riley's gaze and she gasps.

"Oh where are my manners?" she exclaims, extending her hand to me. "I'm Amy Matthews. I'm Riley's grandmother and you must be the boyfriend I've heard so much about."

"Lucas" I offer politely, shaking her hand. "It's nice to meet you Mrs. Matthews."

"Oh please" she waves off. "Call me Amy" she insists with a bright smile as the door to the mystery room opens and Josh walks in. His eyes light up when he sees Riley. 

"Hey niece" he greets her, striding across the room to pull her in for a hug. "How was the drive?" 

"Long" she complains making us both chuckle. Josh looks up towards me and smiles. "Nice to see you again Lucas" he says nicely and I nod in agreement. 

"Took you guys long enough" a voice interjects and my eyes widen as I look up to find Maya walking down the stairs. Josh's face softens as he looks at her and I frown. He was so into her but couldn't do a thing about it because she was underage for another year. "You should've just rode with me and Josh."

The last thing I wanted to do was third wheel in that car. "We didn't take that long" Riley replies, rolling her eyes. "You look cute Peaches" she compliments. Maya was wearing a pair of tight jeans and a white v-neck that I wouldn't classify as cute but more alluring and I was sure it was a ploy to get Josh's full attention....not that she needed a ploy since the boy was practically putty in her hands. 

"Thanks" she smiles brightly. "So, have you met anyone yet?" she asks me and I nod. 

"Uh Amy" I reply nervously. I knew that I still had Riley's grandfather, her Aunt Morgan, and her neighbor Feeny to meet; I was just glad I had already met her Uncle Eric during one of the many visits he's made to New York for business. 

"You'll love Morgan" she gushes. "She acts like she's our age."

"Who said it was an act?" a female's voice interrupts and I quickly spin around and find a pretty brunette standing behind me with a teasing smile on her lips. "I'm not that much older than all of you."

"Uh yes you are" Josh replies. "If I'm three years older than them then you must be ancient." She hits him on the arm and I can't help but laugh. With every passing moment it was becoming less and less clear why I was so nervous to meet the rest of Riley's family. 

"I'm not ancient you ass" she scoffs. "And be polite in front of our guest. You must be Riley's guy." A blush rises on my cheeks at that. 

"I suppose I am" I agree, wrapping my arm around my girlfriend. Riley leans into me and I can't help the way my smile widens. "It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise" she agrees as the door to the unknown opens again and Amy peeks her head out. 

"Dinner" she announces. The group starts to dissipate but Riley and I hang back a minute. She looks up at me, biting into her bottom lip. 

"I know it's a little overwhelming-" she starts but I shake my head, leaning down to kiss her. She kisses me back softly before I pull away, caressing her cheek. 

"They're amazing" I argue. "I'm fine. I promise."

She smiles brightly, leaning back up for another kiss. "I love you."

"I love you more."

***********************************************************************************************

We all crowd around the small kitchen, scattering all over since the table it too small; Riley and I find a place to sit on the steps that I've found out lead upstairs to the bedrooms. Riley steals a piece of garlic bread off my plate and I chuckle as I allow it without protest. "So, where's your grandpa?" I ask, looking around the room. She swallows her bite and points to where Amy is sitting. 

"He's probably just waiting to get you alone" she says which does nothing to calm my nerves. I had survived Cory but I wasn't sure I'd survive Alan. 

The man stands up and walks across the room, stopping front of me. "Can we have a minute?" he asks me and I nod, handing my plate to Riley. 

"I'll be right back" I assure her, kissing the top of her head before following after her grandfather to the backyard. There's a bench that rests right outside the door and we both take a seat on either side. 

"So, you're the boyfriend we've all heard so much about."

"Yes sir" I nod. "I'm Lucas."

"I've heard a lot about you from Cory. Some things better than others." My heart drops. He definitely knew about what happened in Texas. Lovely. 

"If you're referring to what happened before I moved to New York-."

"Do you mean your expulsion for violent behavior?"

I purse my lips. I hated that what happened back then would always haunt me but I was thankful that I had a girl like Riley who saw past all that and trusted that I'd never, ever hurt her. "It's not something I'm proud of but I'm different now."

He shakes his head. "It's not often that people grow out of violent behavior, they just learn how to hide it until they snap." I'm silent, wringing my hands together. I don't know what to say. "I'm not saying that you're not a good guy Lucas I'm just worried about my granddaughter. I don't want anything to happen to her."

I nod in agreement. "I wouldn't either. I love Riley more than I've ever loved anyone and I swear I would never lay a hand on her. I couldn't live with myself if I hurt her."

"I hope you're telling the truth because this family is trusting you with her."

"I understand" I reply. "I promise, she's in good hands."

He smiles, patting my shoulder. "Then you have my blessing to continue seeing her" he adds. I release a deep breath in relief. Of course I didn't need his blessing but it felt good to know that I had passed every test her family had thrown at me. 

He stands up and walks back into the house while I sit on the bench a bit longer until the door reopens and Riley walks out. "Everything okay?" she asks, moving to take a seat beside me. 

"Everything is perfect" I assure her, pecking her lips. "I love you Riley."

"I love you too" she agrees, leaning back in for another kiss that's interrupted by the sound of another door opening but this time it comes from across the fence. We pull apart and find an older man walking out of his house with his wife on his arm. Riley stands up and walks towards the fence, leaning against it. "Hi Mr. Feeny."

"Riley" he smiles brightly. "Haven't seen you around lately. How's the city treating you?"

"Good" she replies happily, turning back to face me. "Mr. Feeny I want you to meet someone" she says, reaching her hand out for mine. I take hers and stop beside her. "This is my boyfriend, Lucas."

"Ah, the subway boy" he nods. "Your father called me about you." My eyes widen while Riley giggles beside me. "I'd take it as a compliment though, you were the first and only boy he's called me about since."

"Well I wouldn't count on that changing" I reply, wrapping my arm around my girlfriend. "Because I'm not planning on ever letting her go."