Alone Together

Lucas' POV

I lost my girlfriend. I swear that I've looked in and around every section of this damn department store and still, I can't seem to find her. To make matters worse, my phone is dead which means I can't call her to aid in my search. "Where are you?" I mutter to myself, glancing up at the directional signs hanging above my head.

We started in the juniors department but after striking out we had moved onto the dress department but after turning my back for a second she disappeared and now I swear I've been scouring this damn store for hours.

I'm just about to give up, seeing a chair perfect for waiting when I hear my name being shouted from the distance. "Lucas!" Turning, excited to finally reunite with my girl and get the hell out of here, I'm taken aback because it's not my girlfriend who's yelling across the store for my attention but rather the last person I expected to see in New York.

"Carlee." Shifting uncomfortably from one foot to the next and looking around in hopes that my girlfriend hasn't somehow mysteriously appeared to witness this reunion, I return my gaze to the blonde making her way towards me. "W-what are you doing here?" I ask when she's close enough to hear me.

The last time I saw her was at my Papi Joe's funeral. Riley couldn't go because her parents weren't exactly keen on her spending an entire week away from home, alone with her boyfriend and I had respected that decision. Of course though, returning home with only the mention of a girlfriend doesn't exactly convince everyone.

"Did your mom not tell you?" Her brow furrows, her fingers tangling in her hair as she pushes it away from her face. "My family is in town for you graduation." My graduation. A mere week away and the exact reason I'm even in this store to begin with; Riley needing a dress for the occasion.

I suppose I hadn't thought earlier of the people from Texas that my mother would invite...not that I would've guessed Carlee anyway.

Her family were good friends with mine, but they weren't family. It hardly seemed sensical that they would make the trip all the way to New York to see their friends' son walk across a stage to receive a piece of paper. "Aren't you excited to see me?" She inquires, her face falling when I don't immediately jump for joy following her revelation regarding what she's doing here.

Carlee follows. "I-I didn't say that." I stutter though quite honestly; I would've been perfectly content never seeing her again...especially after that night in my family's barn. How she had taken one step too close, how I could count the freckles dotting her nose, taste her breath-.

A phone from inside my letterman jacket begins to ring and confusion overtakes me considering mine has been dead since before I lost track of Riley. Pulling the device from my pocket I recognize it immediately as my girlfriend's phone, remembering now that she gave it to me for safe keeping while she tried things on. "Knicks fan...really? I didn't take you as someone who would betray your roots so easily" Carlee jokes, noting Riley's phone case.

I clear my throat, silencing the phone and slipping it back into my pocket. "It's not mine. It's my girlfriend's. You remember I mentioned her last time I visited Texas? Riley." I offer to jog her memory.

Her face contorts, her lips pursing, "so, you're still with her then?"

"I told you it was serious." I reply sternly. "That night in the barn-."

"When you turned me down?" I bite into my lip, brought back to that night.

"Luke." The nickname on Carlee's lips sounds foreign and wrong. There was only one person in my life that used it and she was back in New York, trusting me to be faithful to her despite the miles between us. "C'mon, you had to know" she chuckles, her brown eyes searching mine.

Unable to understand why she would think I would've ever guessed her feelings for me back when we were kids, I stare back at her blankly. "I didn't." I admit. "But regardless, we aren't kids anymore...and I have a girlfriend." I remind her gently.

She steps closer anyway. "You keep speaking of this girlfriend and yet...here you are. All alone." Her hands reach out to press against my chest and in this moment I realize that I've only ever been in this position with Riley and unlike moments with her, this feels wrong.

"Carlee. I love her." My words catch her off guard, her feet shuffling backwards and I'm finally able to breathe again.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't-." Pausing for only a moment, I rephrase, "that I can't reciprocate your feelings Carlee, but I'm madly in love with my girlfriend."

"Luke?" Turning around from my conversation with Carlee, I find her. My girlfriend who I was about ready to report missing to security, standing across from me looking absolutely breathtaking in a white lace halter dress. "I looked everywhere for you." Her eyes dart from mine to Carlee's, her lips quirking into a frown. "Who's this?"

"Babe," I begin, hoping to reassure my girlfriend with the affectionate nickname. "You remember the friend I told you about after I got back from Texas?" Riley's eyes widen slightly as she recalls the long conversation we had when I got home, about the girl that tempted my faithfulness but who I inevitably turned down because I could never feel the same way.

"Carlee." The name is bitter on Riley's lips as I approach her and place my hand on the small of her back. "It's nice to meet a friend from Lucas' hometown. I'm his girlfriend, Riley." She thrusts her hand outwards for Carlee to shake and awkwardly, my friend shuffles forward and takes my girlfriend's hand.

"Nice to meet you too." Carlee murmurs. "But uh, while this was lovely. I should really...get going. I'll see you around Lucas."

"Mhm" I hum, watching her walk away meanwhile my girlfriend shifts in my embrace to move to stand in front of me. Adorably, she purses her lips and crosses her arms across her chest attempting to look angry but failing epically. "What?" I question, a smile pulling at my lips.

"When you told me about Texas...you didn't mention she was stunning."

I roll my eyes, encircling my girlfriend's waist to pull her closer. "I didn't notice. I only have eyes for you." Riley snickers while I chuckle to myself, tipping her head back so she's forced to look at me. "I didn't know she was coming into town let alone that she'd be here. And I made it clear to her that I'm taken...so c'mon. Forgive me?"

Sighing deeply and returning my embrace, my girlfriend finally copies my smile. "I suppose." She concedes, "but you're buying this dress."

"I was buying your dress anyway."

"Then you shouldn't have a problem with it" she replies, breaking into giggles as I start to tickle her in retaliation. "Ah! Lucas!" She yelps, her smile widening into a grin as she squirms. "Luke!"

"Tell me that you love me."

"I love you" she pants, "now let me go" she shrieks, laughing hysterically as I stop and release her. She shakes her head at me, her megawatt grin lighting the entire store. "You drive me crazy Lucas Friar."

Adjusting my jacket I smile. "As long as I'm the only one...I'm alright with that."

"Ditto" she replies, nudging me to put my arm around her and I happily oblige, letting her take the lead as we make our way back through the store.