"Alright, we gotta get you warm. I'm not gonna get an ounce of sleep with your teeth rattling in your head like that," he said before lifting his shirt over his head and spreading it out to dry on the floor.

It took my brain a very, very prolonged moment to process what he'd said. All I'd heard was 'teeth rattling, blah blah blah' before I was suddenly face to face with a shirtless Poe. Now there was something I'd never seen before. If the wet shirt had been a distraction, this was an entirely new realm of things that I'd never be able to stop thinking about ever again. He had the slender, athletic build of someone who wasn't used to sitting still for long, rain water glistening in the ridges of his abdomen. Dark curls of hair covered his chest, trailing a line over his stomach to the waistband of his pants. Where his hands currently were as he stood to his feet.

The connection from my brain to my mouth was malfunctioning. All I could do was stare.

"You just gonna watch, are you gonna start undressing?" he asked me, perking an eyebrow.

For whatever reason, that was what jogged me back to reality. I slammed my eyes shut. "Wait, what the hell are you doing? Why— what—" I sputtered and hated myself for sounding like a moron.

"Alright, you can calm down. It's called 'body heat'. And it's the only way we're both gonna make it through the night. It's science. Biology, or something like that. You went through basic training, didn't you?" he asked, sounding amused.

"Well, yeah—"

"Okay then. Take your clothes off. Your pale as death and your lips are turning blue and as cute as you are, it's not a good look," he interrupted and I heard the distinct sound of a zipper going down. Whether it was just those words, or the fact that it was Poe saying them that was making me so flustered, I had no idea. Maybe a combination? I was embarrassed of myself, though. It wasn't like I'd never seen a naked man before. And he was right. This was about survival.

"All of them?" I asked, taking a breath and opening my eyes. And wishing I'd kept them closed. God, was it possible for someone to be so...so stupidly attractive? He wasn't as built as some of the other Resistance fighters, but was made of lean muscles in all the right places.

Poe was in just his boxer shorts, laying out his pants to dry next to his shirt before spreading the blanket on the floor, folding it in half. One side to lay on, the rest to cover up with. He bunched up the backpack into a makeshift pillow and laid down on his side next to it, patting it invitingly. His dark eyes were dancing with quiet laughter.

"You're adorable when you get all embarrassed like that," he commented, propping his head in one hand. "But no. Not all of 'em. Contrary to what you may believe, I'm nothing if not a gentleman."

I pulled my lower lip in-between my teeth as my hands slowly moved to the hem of my shirt. Another shiver raced through me and I knew he was right. It was only going to get colder as the night went on. This wasn't about anything else but staying alive. That was it. It had nothing to do with attraction, or—or anything else.

"Damn it, it's cold," Poe groaned. "Will you please just do what I'm asking and get your ass over here?"

"Fine," I finally said and started lifting up my shirt before pausing. "But close your eyes."

At that, he looked at me in complete disbelief. "Are you serious?"

I hesitated before nodding slowly and he furrowed his brow before letting out a sigh and shutting his eyes. I waited a moment to be sure before pulling off my shirt, leaving on my damp sports bra underneath. I unlaced my boots, pulling off my socks one by one before shimmying out of my pants. It was even colder with only a few scraps of clothing to protect me from the elements. I glanced over at Poe, who was still lying on his side with his eyes closed and head propped in his hand.