Latch

"If there are boundaries, I will try to knock them down"

- Sam Smith

_______________________________________

--------------------12 years ago-------------------

"Jungkook! They're here! You better be on your best behaviour!" The 9 year old boy heard from his dark room upstairs.

He was currently wearing the clothes that his mother bought him for this 'special' day as it was a day to celebrate and be happy.

But he was far from happy.

"Hyuntae! Seonghwa! How is my little monster~" Jungkook could imagine his mother picking up the child and smiling widely at her new husband. The two had finally finished moving their stuff to live here from now on, after having their wedding a month ago.

"Is Jungkook here?" Seonghwa asked hopefully, wanting to play with his new brother. The woman looked up at the stairs, unsure if she should even bother calling her son down once again.

"Jungkook... is tired, how about you eat the chocolate cake I baked for you and your dad?" Disappointed to hear that he wouldn't be able to play yet, he nodded before being let down back on to the floor.

"Great! I'll go get the kitchen ready" she gestured for Seonghwa and his dad to sit down in the living while she got the kitchen ready.

As they sat down, Seonghwa looked up at his dad and got his attention.

"What is it?"

"I need the toilet..." his dad looked at the hallway and was unsure where the toilet was himself.

"Honey! Where is the toilet?"

"Upstairs and first door on the left!" The 9 year old felt his father stand up and quickly grabbed his arm to stop him.

"I can go by myself!"

"Really? Wow, what a big boy you are now. Go on, call me if you need help" nodding vigorously, Seonghwa quickly ran towards the stairs and made his way up, excited to play with Jungkook. When he finally reached the stairs, he slowed down as he was confused which room was his brother's.

He noticed that all the doors were wide open with light coming from them except for one which was tightly shut. Slowly, he made his way over to the end of the corridor and stood in front of the red wooden door before knocking.

"...hello? Jungkook? Are you in there?"

"Go away!" Shocked, Seonghwa was taken aback at the sudden outburst before trying once again.

"I-i brought my action figures? We can play with them-"

"I said go away!" Deciding that words wasnt going to work, instead he opened the door to a dark lit room that had the curtains drawn shut. It was difficult for the young child to see what was in the room exactly, but he could make out the outline of a boy sitting on his bed with his arms around his knees.

"I told you to go!"

"But, I wanted to play with you..." Jungkook had had enough of the oblivious boy and so he got off his bed and walked over to the other.

"I said. Get. Out" and with that, he shoved Seonghwa out and made him land on his back with a thud.

"What was that?" He heard his mother from downstairs. Looking back at the boy, he noticed tears welling up in eyes as well as hearing the quick footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Seonghwa! Are you okay, honey?" He watched as his mother ran over and held Seonghwa in her arms as she tried to calm his cries. Jungkook couldn't believe what he was seeing, he himself would always cry about where his father was but his mother had never ran and tried to comfort him.

"Jungkook! What did you do?!"

"I told him to leave me alone but he wouldnt!"

"He only wanted to play!"

"And I didn't want to play!" Before his mother could retaliate, she felt a hand on her shoulder, making her look at the culprit who was her husband.

"Let me handle him, honey. You just sort out Seonghwa" Jungkook watched as she tried to calm and stepped aside for him to talk to Jungkook.

"Jungkook, Seonghwa means well and just wanted to play. He's your brother now so you're going to see each other a lot-"

"He's not my brother! And you're not my dad!" Something snapped in his mother's mind as she placed Seonghwa down before walking past her husband and slapping Jungkook across the face. Everyone's eyes widened at what just happened, making then speechless and seeing what she would do next.

"Don't you dare talk to your father like that! You're dad is gone! He died 3 years ago!" Jungkook held his pained cheek in his hand and looked at his mother with a tear stained face. Before anything else could be said, he shut his bed room door and ran to his bed and hid under the covers, wanting to escape from reality as quickly as possible.

"Go easy on him, he's just a kid-"

"A kid who's been making my life a living hell!"

"Let's go downstairs and calm you down. Seonghwa, come as well" Jungkook continued to cry in to his pillow while hearing footsteps go further away from him.

Unknown to him, Seonghwa stayed for just a little while before placing one of his action figures by the door.

"I'm sorry... I'll be a better brother, I promise"

____________________________________

E/n: ~♥♥