Cookies & Goals

(Nam Daeho [Nam Da Reum])

Ch.6

Daeho survived another day at work. Saturday was another tough day on him. His body was aching the next morning. When you woke up, the younger was whining to call in sick. You watched him in amusement before he remembered. He'll always gets Sunday off. Daeho grinned widely at the realization and snuggled into his blankets. This boy. You shook your head as he told you to leave him alone for the next couple hours. He was going to be sleeping in on his off day. Whatever he wants you suppose. The only thing you told him was that he couldn't sleep past noon. By then, he's going to have to get up since the two of you have plans.

It was an idea that you came up with yourself. Daeho and you barely have any time to bond together. You barely see him at work with how separate your stations are. Then when you guys get home, the two of you are too tired to even watch TV together. You make him dinner and then you guys crash for the night only to repeat the cycle. Daeho was quickly learning how stressful your life is. There were hardly any breaks with how demanding the job of chef is. It's something not many people think of. You hope Daeho grows an appreciation for what happens behind the scenes. The food people take a picture of for Instagram is quite literally, art. Then Daeho has his own fair share of struggles. Besides trying to wash dishes faster, not many people think of a dishwasher as a respectable job either.

At this point, Daeho has heard you praise his job multiple times. You're always telling him that without him, the whole restaurant would fall apart. You don't know if that makes him feel better or stressed. All you know is that Daeho doesn't say he wants to quit anymore. He's pushing through it even if he has to take some glares and shouting. It's a lot to take in for a sixteen year old, so you're proud of him. You thought about what Seokjin said. He's proud of your nephew and compliments him on his hard work. You've decided to do the same and it seems to have made your relationship with Daeho a lot more stable.

You hated to say it. It made you upset with how well Seokjin knew how to handle people. When you took your hospitality course, you learned what you had to so you could survive. You didn't want to deal with people, but you needed to pass. Learning how to keep people happy and managing a restaurant was tiring. You're glad that's all over now. Maybe that's why Jackson left you as sous chef. It still makes you mad though so you try not to think about it. Anytime you think about it, you just point out your flaws and notice how Seokjin doesn't have those problems. Forget him though! You'll just steal his people skills and apply them to your nephew.

"At least I'm head chef at my house." You pouted to yourself as you made breakfast. Today was gluten free waffles! A lot of what you have been eating has been gluten free for your nephew.

The plan you had for today with Daeho was teaching him how to make gluten free chocolate chip cookies. It was the most simple cookie to make! A little hard because of the gluten free aspect, but you made sure to find an easy recipe. It'll be an experience for the both of you. Bonding through baking! You'll get to show him what you love and hopefully he'll be inspired to work hard as a dishwasher. He can always rank up with time. You smiled to yourself as you stirred the bowl of waffle batter in your hand. Imagining Daeho as a chef made you happy. The only sad thing though was that you only had him for a summer. Once it ends, he'll go back to his own city and will stop working at Délice.

Right away, you shook your head. You didn't want to get sad early in the morning. It was a little strange if you were honest. Whenever you imagined your sister leaving, it made you happy. You wanted her lost and far away from you as possible. Then her son was almost a different story. It felt wrong to wish he wasn't with you. Slowly as he stayed with you, you were growing a bit fond of him. You wanted to properly bond and get close to Daeho. It's a struggle, but you've learned two things from a certain weirdo. Patience and praise. Thanks to Seokjin, you were enjoying your time with Daeho. The fights were coming to an end which you were grateful for.