Successful or Fun

Ch.5

Daeho returned to work with you the next morning in a better attitude. You thought he was going to stay in bed and put up a fight. He surprised you when he got up with you instead of waiting a couple minutes for the second alarm to ring. He also sat at the kitchen table, watching you make eggs for breakfast. He didn't speak the entire time until he thanked you for the meal. His voice was still very quiet, but you were certain he was going to do better today. Daeho waking up for work was already a good sign. He may not be cheering but this was a great start! Once he enters Délice, he's going to be focused and ready for work. He's going to feel it in his veins and is going to wash the dishes at a faster rate. This time there won't be left over scraps or grease on the dishes anymore! If your nephew is truly related to you then you know he'll excel soon enough.

During the entire car ride over to Délice, you told Daeho about your career as a chef. It all started back in middle school. From there you did whatever you could to gain experience. Even you started out as a dishwasher in the beginning. It's possible to rank higher though over time. All you have to do is keep at it and you might become a chef. The kitchen porter used to be an escuelerie and now they're higher up. Still a commis chef, but they get to do more. Maybe that would interest Daeho into trying harder with his job. He only nodded his head to your words without much care. Again, you told yourself not to force it and push these ideas on him. It only ever seemed to make Daeho resist more against you.

The two of you arrived at the restaurant on time as always. The both of you did the usual morning routine which was checking in and checking your stations. Daeho was putting on his apron as you went to grab a clean towel. Some of the steal tables were looking dirty. It was bothering you a lot. The table was only ever used to place contained ingredients on, but that didn't mean you could let it catch dust. This wasn't a cave! With a stainless steel spray, you sprayed the table completely. It didn't smell pleasant but as long as the table looks clean. That's the most important aspect. You wiped it down until it was shining. Perfect! Throwing the towel in the trash, you went to go wash your hands. The towel already had chemicals on it and wasn't to be used again. It's done once it's used with the stainless steel spray.

"Morning, Peanut! Let's make this Friday a fun one!" Jackson made his way over to his office.

"A successful one!" You chirped, lightly trying to fix what he said.

"I think they can be the same thing." Seokjin's voice made you jump. You turned your head to see him doing the last few buttons on his chef's coat. As soon as your surprise faded away, you registered what he said. Fun and success can be the same thing? You wanted to snort. It felt like something that would be told to kindergarteners. How could you be surprised anymore? Of course he would say something like that.

"I have to disagree." You held back laughter.

"Why's that?" Seokjin tilted his head.

"Success can be stressful. It can be anything, but fun at times," You reasoned. It was obvious, but Seokjin only shook his head. He looked so baffled by your words. That's exactly how you felt about his!

"But when you have fun, things turn out right. Sometimes relaxing gets the job done. Fun is success." Seokjin smiled. You grimaced at him saying relaxing gets the job done. You beg to differ!

"Relaxing allows mistakes. There's no time for distractions," You argued. "Saying things like that is like saying 'this statement is false'."

"But if you stress out about every little thing then there will always be a mistake of some kind," Seokjin said while looking you in the eyes. What did he mean by that? This wasn't the morning conversation you wanted to have at work. Opening your mouth, you didn't really know what you wanted to say. You had nothing to fight back with. Seokjin and you stared at each other until the back door opened loudly. Multiple station chefs were coming inside now, filtering themselves to their stations. Clearing your throat, you awkwardly walked away from Seokjin. He's strange.