Your Venom - Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

"From what I've been told, I pose a huge threat to myself and those around me. I thought people might be angry I'm throwing them into the unknown, throwing them into danger"

"They're not angry. They know it's not your fault and they're here to back you up"

"That's nice of them . . . I didn't expect that"

"We're here to support you. We all remember your grandmother, she was lovely to everyone she met, and everybody wants to help her grand daughter in her time of need"

* * * * *

  Meadow helps me over to the top of the stairs and I hold on to the banister, feeling a rush of dizziness over me, making me tilt backwards.

"Whoa!" Meadow says, holding me up as I fall backwards, almost fainting. "Where's Seth?" she mutters to herself as she supports me.

"Here" a voice says behind us and I feel a hand on my waist. "Hey" he whispers in my ear as I lean against him.

"I have to go downstairs and wait for you guys. I'll see you later" she says. "Good luck!" she adds before disappearing down the stairs.

"Hello there" Seth says and I smile.

"Hey. How's your day been?" I ask and he kisses my cheek.

"Not too bad" he says. "I like your dress"

 It's only then that I turn to see what he's wearing, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see how handsome he looks. He's wearing a black suit with a red waistcoat that has been embroided with a gold pattern, matching my dress. "You look great" I breathe, unable to take my gaze away from him. He smiles, kissing my lips lightly before we hear the music start downstairs. The classical music is light and happy, making me want to dance, and I would if I wasn't low on energy. Seth smiles, pulling me towards the stairs and waiting until we are introduced.

  Butterflies fly around in my stomach, making me feel slightly sick as I breath deeply. I imagine the vampires waiting for me and I hope that Meadow was telling the truth, that they aren't angry with me and will accept me. I worry for a moment before banishing the thought from my head, concentrating on listening to the calming music, feeling slightly better but still nervous and worried.

  Hearing his name called, he smiles at me, before helping me down the stairs, keeping a tight grip on my waist as we walk. When we reach the bottom, I see so many people, more than I expected. There are at least seventy in the room and I can't help but gasp, feeling even more nervous. Seth kisses my cheek, smiling at me and making me feel a little better. As people move out of our way, I wonder where Seth is taking me. "We have to stand on stage for a moment, let people see you" Seth whispers in my ear as he sees my confused and curious expression.

  Standing on the stage, I watch as everybody turns to look our way, smiles on their faces. They start clapping and cheering. Seth leads me off the stage and the introductions start, all the vampires rushing to get first dips on us, wanting to talk to me and welcome me to the clan. I smile through it, leaning on Seth as I start to feel drained. Luckily the crowd is understanding and, as they see I'm beginning to drain of energy, keep their welcomes shot and sweet, rushing away so somebody else can greet me.

   A formal dinner is served and I don't eat mine, worried of being sick in front of everybody. They are understanding, not forcing me to eat the beautiful feast laid out in my honor. Seth holds my hand tight under the table, eating his food quickly so the smell of it doesn't make me ill. He doesn't take his eyes off of me, making sure I'm feeling Ok, knowing that I need every ounce of my energy to make it through to the bite.

 I grow with nerves as the bite approaches and when Seth tells me I have to get seated on stage, I know the bite is coming. There is a small red velvet stool on the stage, which I sit on, unsupported. Seth has to wait at the side of the stage as three vampires sprinkle crystal dust around me in some form of ritual. I look at my lap as they chant and bless me, a circle of crystal around me offering me luck and protection.

  The audience watches with care, some mouthing the chant while others shout it. I see Red, Logan, Dustin and Meadow saying it, smiling in my direction as the ritual ends and the bite is coming.

  Seth walks towards me, stepping carefully into my circle, not touching the crystal around me. He kneels next to me and strokes along my neck, making me shiver. I don't look at him, knowing my expression is terrified and I don't want him to reconsider. He kisses up and down my neck a few times before selecting a place to bite, placing one more kiss to warn me. "Ready?" he breathes.

"Yes" I reply, frozen in fear.

  He kisses the spot once more before exposing his teeth, nipping at my neck lightly before he pauses. He bites.

I gasp in pain and grip on to the stool, the pain unbearable. I breath shakily and fast, the pain too much. I grit my teeth, no wanting to scream. He removes his teeth for a moment before resuming his place, his bite hurting twice as much as he replaces his teeth. He puts a hand on the back of my head, keeping me still as he bites. It seems like ages. My eyes are shut tight and my teeth are fighting to stay together. It all becomes too much.

  Letting out a painful yelp, it soon turns into a scream, the pain consuming me. Tears fall from my eyes as he removes his teeth and kisses the spot, the bite over but the pain only just starting. Panting in pain, I fall from my stool, hitting the ground with a thud, destroying my protective circle. I feel hands lifting me, carrying me from the room, but I don't care, the pain all I can think about, the pain destroying me. I try to stop screaming, but I can't. My body fights the venom, rejects it from my system, but it spreads so easily, gliding over my defences and turning me.

"Help me" I yelp, the agony engulfing me.