Chapter Sixty-Seven

"I trained for this mission eight years ago, when your mother died. Nobody was more surprised than me when they reactivated it. I got to the address three hours before you did." So he doesn't really live in that house? What a surprise... That means his name probably isn't Mike Bennett either. The house isn't Visioned's property. It's Mike Bennett's, wherever the real one might be.

"And the guy you were pretending to be?" Satori asks like she's reading my mind.

"CIA-agent. Died in prison for smuggling drugs. I don't know the first thing about your father." My real father died? He died in prison? I have been searching for a dead man for over six months and only now I find out that he has been dead all along? That's really disappointing... But the big question is still out there: is Mike Bennett really my biological father? Visioned changed the information on the black box, why wouldn't they have changed the whole story? Maybe my father isn't Visioned at all. Maybe he's one of those guys from the boyband, One Direction. Or maybe he's CIA, or FBI. Who knows, maybe he's just some random guy on the street and is my dad telling the truth after all! It's still possible he doesn't know my real father at all because he's just some stupid one night stand. Apparently, Talin could read the disappointment from my face because he starts talking to me to ease the pain.

"He's wasting our time. He's Visioned. He has a tracker." He takes the gun out of my hand and I let him. He lifts it until it stops right in front of his face. I want to protest at first, but he's right. Visioned probably already knows where we are. They are probably already on their way.

"How close are they?" Andrews completes my theory.

"Best bet? Give them the black box and me in exchange for your lives." That means they are close. According to him, we won't have enough time to flee. But we have to keep the black box if we want mercy from the CIA. Ryan probably knows we stole the black box by now. That means he knows we went behind his back, went rogue so we could finish the mission at our own terms. And if we want a single chance at mercy, we have to give him the black box back. We can't lose it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows that.

We don't need your advice. I know the way Anissa works. She would easily trade your life for ours, mine especially. Sometimes I don't get Visioned. I'm wanted according to them and why? Because my mum is Merel Thirlwall and because she's CIA? I'm not my mom! I push Mike's chair against the wall and spin around.

"Okay, here's the plan-" I just receive a bulletproof vest from Peters before the building gets attacked. I dive to the ground with my hands on my head to avoid getting shot. Then, I search for a safe place, away from doors and windows and other open areas. I find that place behind the couch. Everything next to me and above me gets shot and gets destroyed. I just don't dare to look up or do anything. Or even check for other members of my team. I'm just waiting in fear.