Chapter 18: Apologies

Danny's P.O.V

"Are you ok?!" Tucker shouted. I had just finished telling him what had happened yesterday.
"I'm mostly fine. Just a bit sore and my memory is a bit hazy. I just need to make sure Missy's other half doesn't worry."
"But how are you going to do that if you don't know her identity?"
"Guess I'm just going to have to be extra careful."

We got to school and saw (y/n) at her locker. She seemed a bit shaken. Maybe she heard about what happened. When she saw me, she rushed off, heading to class. Sam did the same, except she seemed angry rather than shaken up.
"You should talk to Sam." Tucker said.
"I know, but I'm still upset with her. Sam has been so... Obsessive over finding out (y/n)'s secrets."
"Well, maybe she has a good reason."
I sighed. "Fine, I'll talk to her during lunch."

Lunch came and only Tucker and I sat at our table. Sam was avoiding us and (y/n) was acting weird. I actively searched for Sam around the school. She was sitting outside under a tree.
"Hey, Sam," I start, "I came to apologise. I'm sorry that we had that argument and about everything else I said."
"I'm still mad at you for not trusting me."
"Sam, everyone has secrets--"
"But (y/n) is hiding something big! Possibly something dangerous, I know it!"
"Alright, fine, we'll keep a close eye on her, but please don't bully her. And, try to be friends with her?" I suggested. I didn't expect Sam to agree. She never did like people outside our small friend group.
"Fine." She huffed.
"Great." We shook hands and I helped her up. I then told her about the ghost and everything I had just told Tucker. She seemed really worried for me so I assured her that I was alright.
We got back to sit with Tucker for the remainder of lunch. I still hadn't had the chance to talk to (y/n). Every time I saw her, she'd run the other way. I wondered if i did anything wrong. Well, she is living with me, she won't be able to avoid me there.

It's been a week and I still haven't been able to talk to (y/n). She avoids me at school and never gets back home until late hours of the night, when I'm asleep. Jazz says it's because she's been studying more or because she's busy doing small jobs for money. Every once in a while I'll see Missy, but she'd avoid talking to me too. Not that I expected much of a conversation with her. I wonder if I did something wrong, or if she feels scared now that Sam is hanging out with us again.

At school, Dash was in no good mood. He was looking for someone to take his anger out on, and with all the laughter going on out in the field, I think he found someone.
I pushed through the crowd of people after Dash had left and saw (y/n). Her glasses laid on the ground in front of her and was broken. I saw a red mark on her face and thick red liquid oozing from her lip. Something snapped in me. I never felt so much rage in my life. I'll get Dash back for this, right after I help (y/n).
I took her by the hand and led her far away from the crowd as they mocked and laughed at her.
"(Y/n), are you ok?"
"I'm fine." She whispered.
"Did... Did Dash hurt you?"
"No."
"(Y/n), you're bleeding. Please just tell me the truth. I'll do anything I can to help you."
"Then please leave."
I was so confused. How could anyone want to be alone at a time like this? Why was (y/n) being stubborn?
"I'm sorry about everything, Danny. I have to go now. I'm sorry." She said. She sounded so broken. She didn't go to class, she wasn't at my house. In fact, none of her stuff was there either. I tried to call and see if she was at her own house but she wouldn't respond or open the door.
I went to bed that night worried. I really hoped I would see her again because I really liked her. She was smart and funny and beautiful, she made life a little easier to handle. It was so subtle, but, now that she's gone, I could see the difference she made in my life.