Chapter 29

Liv's P.O.V:

I nearly choked on my own spit.

"Wh-what?" I stutter, hoping that I was hallucinating about what Nash just said.

"We're going to Arizona in three days to see Dad. Will's coming, too."

"Why would I want to see him? Why do I have to?" I question, getting annoyed.

"Mom wants you to go, and he's our dad, Liv. You should enjoy the trip while we're there," Nash sighs.

"Some dad he is," I mutter under my breath, making sure they don't hear me.

"Get packing, we're leaving on Tuesday," Nash gives me a half-smile, and Hayes gives me a sympathetic look.

"Mary's coming over. I need to talk to her," I inform him, and meet Mary halfway for the walk.

"Hey, boo. What's wrong?" She frowns.

"My- I have to go see my dad," I hold back the tears.

"Let's go upstairs and talk," she gives me a warm smile.

We head upstairs, with food of course, and sit on my bed.

"What's going on?" Mary looks for some sort of start.

"Here it goes," I sigh, and she takes a sip from her Diet Coke.

"When Nash and I were eleven, Will was fourteen, and Hayes was eight, my parents got into a huge fight. I still don't know what it was about, but my dad walked out on us- literally. He packed some bags and left the four of us with our mom; who was upset, and we had no clue what was going on. He hadn't come to see us in over a year, my mom got engaged to Brad, my step dad, and didn't hear from him; at least I didn't." I sigh and run my hands through my hair.

She nods, like she experienced it with me, and I continue.

"He got married to a woman named Nila, and there wasn't a wedding or anything, at least that I didn't know of. Will went to college in Florida, Nash and Hayes were traveling across the country for their MagCon tours, mom had Skylynn, and I had no one. By that time, I was fifteen. I only saw my dad about twice, and we only talked for a little bit, then his focus went back to Nash, Hayes, and Will. When Nash and Hayes went to MagCon for about four months, I was... Distant with everyone else."

A tear slips out of my eye, and I wipe it away.

"I started starving myself and cutting, and then-" I cry, "I tried to commit suicide." I sob, and Mary is crying, too.

"Oh my God, Liv," She gasps and pulls me into a warm, gentle hug.

"Before I went to rehab, he came here, and he literally talked to me for less than 10 minutes. He didn't seem the smallest bit concerned with the fact that his only real daughter tried to kill herself," I let out an emotionless chuckle, "Hell, he wanted to listen even more about Will's football career."

She puts her hand over her mouth, and cries with me.

"I tried contacting him. He wasn't there for me since I was eleven fucking years old. He left our family, and then suddenly becomes my brothers' best friend." I sigh, "I was always left in the shadows, behind them, like I wasn't important enough." I sob.

"Liv, you're my best friend. I know you're more than important." She bawls and grabs a Kleenex.

"I'm glad I have you here," I smile.

"What else happened?"

"Nothing happened. I gave up on trying to talk to him because he never answered me anyways. I tried everything to get his attention. I tried sports, getting in trouble, becoming famous online like Nash and Hayes, and nothing worked- nothing still has. I don't know what I can do, or did, to make him hate me less," I wipe my eyes.

"Did you talk to your brothers about it?" She gives me a concerned look.

"No, but if I did, they probably wouldn't believe me. Like I said, Dad became their bestie after he walked out, and he took my best friends away from me; well, not you, but my brothers. He never talked to me, he never wants to see me, but if it were Nash or Will or Hayes, his ass would be on a plane here within seconds," I sigh, and stop crying.

"I don't know what to say," Mary has watery eyes.

"Now I am being forced to go see him. Fucking hell," I let out an awkward noise.

"You're staying with me, not going to see him," She hugs me tightly.

"Really? Mary, I love you so much," I hug her tightly.

"I love you too. You're like my sister. I refuse to see you cry and suffer anymore," She smiles warmly.

"Wanna know the best part of this story?" I chuckle.

"What?" She shoots be a bewildered look.

"Me and my step-dad are closer and bond more than me and my real dad do," I laugh a little, but not a cheery laugh, more like a depressing laugh.

"You don't deserve this. No one does," she sighs.

"I'm tired of crying. Wanna go out?" I look out the window, it seems safe to drive.

"Sure? Mall and mani-pedis?" She claps.

"You know me so well!" I cheer, and I slip some leggings on with a sweater, and Bearpaw boots.

"Ready?" She picks out a purse for me, and we head out.

"I'm going out!" I yell, to get a small chorus of 'okay' and 'be safe'.

We carefully drive in my car to the mall, and head to the salon inside, and get our nails done.

I get mint green with a matte finish on my fingers, and the same on my toes, except I get flowers instead of the matte finish.

Mary gets purple with the same design on her nails, and we pay and head to some stores.

We head to Pacsun to buy matching beanies, then we go to American Eagle any buy matching shirts and jeans. Afterwards, we go to Vans and get some solid black ones, putting the cherry on top of our perfect outfits.

"Let's go to Charlotte Russe and buy scarves and earrings!" She smiles, and we go into the store pick some out.

"Starbucks?"

"Starbucks."

"Maybe Starbucks will be our always," I joke.

"Totally!" She laughs, and so do I.

We both order peppermint hot chocolate, and then we head out.

"I had a lot of fun, today, Mary. Thank you so much for cheering me up," I smile as I pull into her driveway.

"Don't forget, Liv. You can stay here instead of going to Arizona." She hugs me.

"I'll definitely think about it," I smile.

"See you later,"

"Bye, Mary. Thank you so much," I smile and head home.

A/N:

Double update bc I feel bad about not updating this week.

I might update tomorrow, but idk yet.

Thanks for reading!

xoxo

-Em